Cooking for your dogs, when done right, can be very advantageous for the pet's health. With the number of recipes we have here, there's always something new for you and your pooch to try.
But not all homemade dog food recipes will fit every dog (most won't), and more importantly, a pet owner must pay attention to the nutritional value of each dish.
Balanced homemade dog food recipes are usually the closest to a healthy doggy meal but still require a vet's assessment.
A word on balanced homemade dog food recipes
“Balance” refers to the type and amount of nutrients. Prolonged feeding of unbalanced meals exposes a dog to many health risks, and many recipes do not provide enough nutrition for the canine, studies have found.
A dog's balanced diet will contain a sufficient amount of protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals, including fatty acids like omega-3.
Do not assume that a recipe that looks nutritious to you will be nutritious for your dog.
There are several dangers of feeding homemade meals when pet owners feed something that hasn't been discussed with a vet and specifically adjusted for the dog.
Balanced homemade dog food recipes are often structured to provide many key nutrients (canines need about 50 different nutrients in their diet).
When adjusted for your dog, you can use these recipes for a longer period of time instead of other recipes that may not contain even half of the essential nutrition.
That said, there is no completely balanced homemade dog food recipe that will be perfect for every dog.
You cannot add all essential nutrients without significantly increasing caloric content. Generally, you cannot avoid homemade dog food supplements to ensure the pet gets all the vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients.
It's nearly impossible to pack it all into a dog food meal without making it very calorie-dense.
If you're about to start cooking for your Fido, to make your job easier, here are 13 balanced homemade dog food recipes that come close to being well-rounded and varied in their nutrient profile.
They're a good foundation to start with, but remember that you should NOT switch your dog to a regular homemade dog food diet without consulting with a veterinarian.
Every dog is different and requires a specifically adjusted diet when it comes to homemade meals.
13 Balanced Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Meat Mix Balanced Homemade Dog Food Recipe
1. Stew Surprise
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken (chopped)
- 1 ½ lb. ground beef
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 12 oz. of the vegetable mix (chopped) (Your choice. This is where the surprise comes in.)
- Add chicken and enough water to cover it into a pot. Bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add beef, oats, and veggies and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Beef Balanced Homemade Dog Food Recipes
2. Beef Stew
- 1 lb. beef stew meat
- 1sm potato (chopped, skinless)
- 1 small sweet potato (chopped, skinless)
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- ½c water
- ½ cup white flour
- 1 tbsp. canola or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake vegetables in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Sauté beef with oil until cooked. Remove the beef.
- Add water and flour slowly into the pan. Stir until thick.
- Add beef, carrots, and potatoes.
- Cook 10 more minutes.
- 3 cups of ground beef
- 2 whole eggs (with shells)
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼c finely chopped carrots
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Place into loaf pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes.
SIMILAR RECIPE: Simple & Healthy Doggy Meatloaf Recipe
Pork Balanced Homemade Dog Food Recipes
4. Tasty Crockpot Pork
- 2 pounds of pork (deboned and chopped)
- 2cups asparagus (chopped)
- 2 cups beetroot (chopped)
- 2 cups white potatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1cup water
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- ¼tsp clove
- ¼ tsp basil
- Put all ingredients in a crockpot.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
5. Fruity Pork Dinner
- 4 lbs. ground pork
- 1 large sweet potato (chopped)
- 1 large apple (cored and chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 cup kale (chopped)
- ½ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup rice
- 1½ cup water
- Add meat, fruits, vegetables, and water to the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Cook rice with directions for your rice pot.
- Mix ingredients together.
ALSO READ: 20 Most Healthy Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Chicken Balanced Homemade Dog Food Recipes
6. Chicken and Rice Dinner
- ¼ pound of cooked, skinless chicken (boneless)
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice
- ½ cup of broccoli (chopped)
- ½ cup of peas
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Sautee vegetables with oil until soft.
- Mix ingredients together.
SIMILAR RECIPE: Chicken & Rice Cakes for Dogs with Upset Stomach
7. Chicken Crockpot Medley
- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken
- 1 sweet potato (cubed)
- 2carrots (sliced)
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 medium apple (cored and cubed)
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- Place meat in a crockpot and add water to cover the chicken.
- Add potato, carrots, kidney beans, green beans, and apple.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add frozen peas and cook for 30 minutes.
- Drain, add oil, mash ingredients.
Turkey Balanced Homemade Dog Food Recipes
8. Skillet Turkey Yum
- 8 oz. ground turkey
- 6 oz. peeled potatoes (diced)
- 2 oz. nonfat yogurt
- 7 oz. vegetables (your choice, small bites)
- 1 egg (with shells)
- 1 oz. flaxseeds
- 2 oz. instant oatmeal
- 8 oz. water
- In a large sauté pan, add water, potatoes, vegetables, and turkey.
- Cook on medium for approximately 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add egg and oatmeal and cook an additional 3 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat. Add yogurt and flaxseeds.
9. Turkey Casserole
- 3 lbs. ground turkey
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- ½ cup peas, canned or frozen
- Cook rice according to your cooker's instructions.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot medium heat.
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Stir in spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas, and brown rice.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
SIMILAR RECIPE: Turkey and Vegetable Homemade Dog Food Recipe
Fish Balanced Homemade Dog Food Recipes
10. Breaded Salmon
- 1½ cups brown rice
- 16 oz. frozen green peas
- 2 Carrots (shredded)
- 75 oz. canned salmon (packed in oil)
- 2 tbsps. flax seed
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. chives (chopped)
- Cook rice according to package directions or cooker directions.
- Mix all ingredients.
- It may be mashed if desired.
11. Baked Fish and More
- 2 cod fish fillets
- ½ sweet potato (peeled and cubed)
- ½cup of ground sesame seed
- ½ cup ground parsley
- 4 tsp sunflower oil
- Preheat oven 350°.
- Boil potatoes in water until tender.
- Put potatoes and cod in a baking pan. Place sunflower on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Place parsley and sesame seed on top of the dish.
SIMILAR RECIPE: Vet Recommended Homemade Dog Food Recipe
Meatless Balanced Homemade Dog Food Recipes
12. Peanut Buttered Sweet Potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes (cubed)
- 3 cups peanut butter
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup cranberry juice
- ½ cup flaxseed oil
- Bring the water to a boil. Add the rice, quinoa, lentils, and sweet potatoes.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes or until soft. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and mash.
- Add the peanut butter, vinegar, cranberry juice, and flaxseed oil. Stir.
13. Salad Bowl Whip-up
- 1 cup black beans (cooked)
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked)
- ¼ cup squash (chopped)
- ¼cup spinach (chopped)
- ¼ cup zucchini (chopped)
- ¼cup apples (cored and chopped)
- ¼ cup pears (cored and chopped)
- ¾cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp. cream cheese
- Mix ingredients in a large salad bowl.
If you keep a variety of these recipes in your pet's weekly diet and use the right serving size for each meal, you're likely to hit all the essential nutrient requirements of your dog.
However, even for the most well-balanced homemade dog food recipes, you must first consult with a veterinarian or canine nutritionist to ensure that your individual canine will get everything he needs from these meals.
Include any essential dog supplements if and as needed.
READ NEXT: 50 Best Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Common Questions about Homemade Slow Cooker Dog Food
We've answered some of the most common questions below for those who want to know more about slow cooker dog food before trying out the above recipes.
What Are the Best Ingredients for Homemade Dog Food?
Your ideal crockpot dog food meals will depend on your dog's diet and preferences. Some dogs prefer ground beef, while others like chicken. No matter what food you include, do your best to ensure that it is fresh.
Look at other dog food recipe ideas for inspiration on creative carbs and proteins.
You can find a range of unique and delicious ingredients that are good for your dog's diet, including butternut squash, chicken breasts or chicken thighs, lean beef, and other items even a picky eater will love.
Is It Cheaper to Make Your Own Dog Food?
Whether or not it is cheaper to make your own dog food depends on the dry food, you typically buy and the ingredients you get.
You can save money making homemade dog food, especially if you make it in bulk and store it in an airtight container.
Buying meat like ground chicken on sale and freezing it in batches can also reduce your costs. Just be sure to also account for the cost of your time, especially if you have a busy household or many dogs.
Is Homemade Dog Food Better?
Homemade crockpot dog food can be better, but that is not always the case. You will have to put more effort into choosing ingredients and ensuring the food is balanced.
You may need to talk to your own veterinarian and look at various food recipe ideas for your furry best friend to meet his nutritional needs.
That being said, homemade dog food can be better, especially if your pup is on a restricted diet or has allergies.