Like us, dogs can suffer from dandruff too. And while it may not be as big of a cosmetic issue for a dog, dandruff is uncomfortable for your pet. And due to the discomfort and itchiness that the dry, flaky skin causes, they can itch themselves to the point of breaking open their skin, which can lead to much bigger and more serious problems such as staph infection. Some of the best dandruff shampoos for dogs will combat dry, itchy, irritated and flaky skin that leads to dandruff in your pup before it becomes a more serious problem.
Over the years, we've tried and tested a huge number of different dog shampoos and had veterinarians write on shopping for this product. Below are the four best dandruff shampoos for dogs that we like, that are safe, effective and affordable. We've also considered other pet owners' reviews, customer reviews and product ratings provided for each of the top-rated and most often purchased dandruff dog shampoos.
Best Selling Anti-Dandruff Dog Shampoo:
Pro Pet Works Hypoallergenic Oatmeal Shampoo
This 2-in-1 dog dandruff shampoo plus conditioner is made using all-natural, soap free, and hypoallergenic ingredients. The skin-soothing and healing combination of aloe and oatmeal that is found in this shampoo help to make it an extra gentle formula that safe to use on dog’s that have especially sensitive, itchy, or dry, irritated skin due to allergies, bug bite irritation, or any other kind of skin condition.
- PRO PET WORKS PERFECT BLEND"...
- BENEFITS: ✔️Formulated for...
- ADVANCED FORMULATION:Our...
At the time in which this review was written, Pro Pet Works Hypo-Allergenic Pet Shampoo + Conditioner had a higher than average customer review rating (4.6 out of 5 stars), and was the #1 Best Seller within the category of “Dog Shampoos” on Amazon. This shampoo is also well-priced, costing pet parents about $16.00 for a 17 ounce bottle (prices may vary depending on when and where the product is purchased).
Must Know Facts:
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Veterinarian recommended.
- PH balanced for sensitive skin.
- Gentle enough for frequent use.
- Has a pleasant cherry-almond scent.
- Comes with a 100% money-back, satisfaction guarantee.
- Will not irritate your dog's eyes, nose or skin while bathing.
- Specially formulated for pets with allergies to food, grass, and flea bites.
- Made using all-natural ingredients formulated to soothe dry, sensitive, itchy skin.
- Made with no alcohol, no sulphates, no added colors, no harsh chemicals, no soaps, no detergents, and no fragrance.
- The organic aloe vera and almond oil heal and soothe a dog’s skin and coat, while also naturally keeping the dog smelling fresh.
- Product is 100% biodegradable and made with recycled materials, is paraben and cruelty-free, as well as non-toxic, and made using no animal by-products.
Directions: Wet down your pet with warm water, allow the product to work in for 5-10 minutes, rinse pet. Repeat for best results.
Ingredients: deionized water, surfactant blend derived from natural derivatives (coconut shampoo base), organic aloe vera extracts, almond oil, hydrolyzed oat proteins, Vitamins A, D and E, glycerin glyceral stearate, wheat germ glycerides, blend of cherry botanical extracts, EGDA.
- Made with all-natural ingredients.
- Won’t wash off topical flea treatments.
- Detangles a dog’s fur for easy brushing and a beautiful, soft, and fluffy coat.
- Users report that a little goes a long way, making this dog dandruff shampoo very cost-effective.
- Made without the use of alcohol, sulphates, added colors, harsh chemicals, soaps, detergents, and fragrance.
- The aloe vera found in this shampoo is an effective moisturizer, healer, and protector for dry, irritated, flaky, and itchy skin.
- Users report that this shampoo lathers well, cleans their dog’s skin and fur amazingly, and rinses out easily, leaving the dog’s coat and skin beautiful, soft, and smelling fresh.
- Users report that this formula worked well with their dogs that have allergies that cause them to have extremely sensitive and irritated skin, and that this shampoo even helped to soothe and correct skin conditions in their dogs.
- The organic aloe vera and almond oil help to heal and soothe a dog’s skin and coat, while also naturally keeping the dog smelling fresh, many users report that this shampoo smells great and leaves their dog smell amazing for days after use!
- The almond oil found in this dandruff dog shampoo not only makes dogs smell delicious, it also contains vitamin E, which is effective at keeping skin cells healthy, protects skin from UV radiation damage, and helps the skin repair itself quickly, and the fatty acids help skin to retain moisture, while healing chapped and irritated skin.
- Many users report that this formula is very effective, when nothing else has worked for their dog and has only made their itching and dandruff worse, this product works wonderfully well, and causes their dog to stop itching immediately upon use, and effectively helps to clear up their dog’s dandruff, and the skin conditions that have led to the dry, irritated, red, itching, flaky skin, and dandruff.
- A couple of users report that this shampoo irritated their dog’s eyes.
- A few users report that the smell doesn’t last long after the dog is bathed.
- Several users report that they dislike the smell of this shampoo, because to them it smells like “cherry cough syrup”.
- A couple of users reported that this dog dandruff shampoo did not help their dog to itch less, nor did it cause the dog to have less dandruff or flakes.
Highest Rated Anti-Dandruff Dog Shampoo:
Pet Pleasant Lavender Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
This hypoallergenic pet shampoo is made using skin-soothing and great smelling oatmeal, lavender, and jojoba oils. It is designed to be an effective cleaner and odor eliminator, while also being gentle enough to use on puppies and dog’s that have especially sensitive and irritated skin.
- Dog Oatmeal Shampoo - Try one...
- Deodorizing Dog Shampoo - You...
- Big and Small - Whether...
- Dog Supplies - We take dog...
- Pet Pleasant Quality - Choose...
This dandruff dog shampoo formula works hard to combat a variety of issues that lead to dry, red, itchy, irritated, and flaky skin, including bug bites, by using the lavender scent to naturally repel pesky, skin-irritating critters away from your canine companion. At the time in which this review was written, Pet Pleasant Lavender Oatmeal Dog Shampoo had a higher than average customer review rating (4.7 out of 5 stars), and was the #3 Best Seller within the category of “Dog Shampoos” on Amazon. This shampoo is priced right around $12.00 for an 8 ounce bottle (prices may vary depending on when and where the product is purchased).
Must Know Facts:
- Made using natural ingredients and essential oils.
- Includes skin soothing and healing colloidal oatmeal and jojoba oil.
- This gentle formula is sulfate free, paraben free, tear free, and always cruelty-free.
- Veterinarian recommended, clinical formula that uses pure, high-quality ingredients for a gentle, yet deep clean and effective odor removal.
- Made with calming lavender oil to help calm your pup during, and after their bath while leaving your furry friend smelling wonderful and fresh.
- Manufactured in the U.S.A., in a state-of-the-art facility that exceeds all GMP standards, and comes with a 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- The hypoallergenic formula is designed to be used with dogs and puppies that have extra sensitive skin, and is extremely soothing for your dog’s flaky dry skin, using natural ingredients.
- The lavender oil found in this dog dandruff shampoo also works as a natural bug repellant, helping to keep pesky, itch-creating, and disease-transmitting critters such as fleas, ticks, and mosquitos off of your dog.
- The colloidal oatmeal that is found in this shampoo has natural detoxing and hydrating properties that remove dirt, oil, and impurities, while also adding moisture at the same time, for a soft, and smooth coat and skin.
- Oats are composed of lipids, which are natural humectants known to effectively lock in moisture, making this shampoo especially well-suited for dog’s that have dry, irritated skin, and dandruff, the oatmeal effectively soothes and helps heal irritated, dry, and flaky skin, while also softening and bring shine to a dog’s coat.
- The jojoba oil included in this dandruff dog shampoo is a very lightweight, yet intensely effective, natural, and completely dog-safe hydrating oil that adds brilliant shine and softness to a dog’s coat, without weighing their fur down, or leaving it looking or feeling greasy.
Directions: Lather well and apply to a wet coat. Work lather from head to tail, paying special attention to soiled areas. Allow 1-2 minutes for therapeutic benefits to absorb, and rinse.
Ingredients: water, sodium cocoyl isethionate, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium lauroamphoacetate, sodium methyl cocoyl taurate, sodium lauryl glucoside carboxylate, lauryl glucoside, sodium cocoyl glutamate, acrylates copolymer, coco-glucoside, glyceryl oleate, caprylhydroxamic acid, glyceryl caprylate, glycerin, sodium PCA, D-panthenol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) oil, colloidal oatmeal, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, phytokeratin.
- Sulfate free, paraben free, tear free, and always cruelty-free.
- Manufactured in the U.S.A., and comes with a 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- Includes skin soothing and healing colloidal oatmeal and jojoba oil, for flake-free skin and a soft and shiny coat.
- Users report that a little goes a long way, and that this formula rinses out easily and does not leave any residue behind.
- Formulated with high-quality ingredients, to be extra gentle and safe to use on dogs that have allergies and exceptionally sensitive skin.
- Includes lavender oil, which not only calms your dog down naturally, and leaves the pup smelling fresh, but also acts a natural insect repellent.
- Many users report that this shampoo effectively cleared up their dog’s dandruff issues, and relieved the irritated, dry, and itchy skin conditions that caused the dandruff.
- Quite a few users report that this shampoo effectively cleans their dog, while also leaving their coat super soft and shiny, and state that their dogs smell great after using this product on them.
- Users report that this dog dandruff shampoo has a pleasant, light, natural fragrance that they, and their dogs enjoy because it is not strong, overwhelming, or perfume-like, and sticks around for at least several days after the dog has been bathed.
- The combination of natural ingredients included in this shampoo work to deep-clean your dog, without stripping their skin and fur of it’s natural and necessary oils, the included ingredients work together to effectively soothe, heal, and prevent the dry, itchy, irritated skin conditions that cause dandruff and discomfort in a dog.
- A few users complain about how small the bottle of shampoo is for the price.
- A couple of users report that this dog dandruff shampoo was not effective at clearing up itchy skin and dandruff.
- A few users report that the scent of the shampoo was not strong enough for them and didn’t last long after the dog was given a bath.
- A couple of users worry about the fact that the natural, skin-soothing and healing ingredients are listed last on the ingredients list, after a bunch of other ingredients that seem to be un-natural.
Best Certified Organic Anti-Dandruff Dog Shampoo:
4-Legger Certified Organic Dog Shampoo
This shampoo is the only dog shampoo included in this review that is 100% USDA Certified Organic, which is reflected in the short list of only 6, all-natural, vegan, and organic ingredients. It is specially formulated with skin-soothing and protecting aloe vera, as well as delicious-smelling and natural flea-repelling lemongrass oil.
- DOG SHAMPOO MADE WITH USDA...
- #1 CHOICE FOR HOLISTIC...
- WE DON’T COMPROMISE PET...
- ONLY 2% OF DOG SHAMPOOS REALLY...
- WAGGING TAIL GUARANTEE - You...
This dog dandruff shampoo is very effective and cleaning, deodorizing, and moisturizing a dog’s skin and fur, yet gentle and safe enough to use on all dogs, of all ages, and with any type of skin and fur conditions. At the time in which this review was written, 4-Legger Certified Organic Dog Shampoo had a higher than average customer review rating (4.7 out of 5 stars), and was the #27 Best Seller within the category of “Dog Shampoos” on Amazon. This shampoo is also easy on your wallet. Customers can purchase 16 ounces of the shampoo in its concentrated form for only $15.00, and report that a little of this shampoo goes a long way, making this concentrated formula a great deal monetarily, as well as ingredients-wise! (Prices may vary depending on when and where the product is purchased).
Must Know Facts:
- Safe to use with all ages of dogs, including puppies.
- Made using soothing and healing aloe vera, and great-smelling lemongrass oil.
- This product is 100% ALL-NATURAL, USDA Certified Organic, and hypoallergenic.
- The lemongrass oil found in this dandruff dog shampoo naturally repels fleas, ticks, and other pesky critters, keeping them away from your dog.
- This shampoo is also detergent-free, paraben-free sulfate-free, safe and non-toxic, and includes NO artificial or synthetic ingredients.
- This product is biodegradable and made with sustainable ingredients, in addition to being vegan, cruelty-free, and eco-friendly.
- Veterinarian and groomer recommended to heal, moisturize, and condition all types of dog’s skin and coat, safe and effective to use on all dogs, especially those with sensitive, dry, and allergy-prone skin.
- Formulated to organically provide your dog with relief and healing from their dry, itchy, and flaky skin while soothing and moisturizing, instead of stripping the dog’s skin and fur of necessary and beneficial natural oils.
- Comes in a concentrated formula, that is very easy to lather-up and rinse off of your dog, without the use of any toxic artificial-thickeners that pose a risk to your dog, and because it is concentrated, a little goes a long way, making this shampoo long-lasting and a great deal for the cost.
Directions: Shake well before use. Wet your dog with warm water from head to tail. Pour a small amount into hand, shampoo is concentrated. Liberally apply shampoo from head to tail. Gently massage into coat. Rinse thoroughly until water runs clear. For more lather, just add more water, not more shampoo.
Ingredients: Saponified organic oils of coconut, olive, and jojoba, natural essential oil blend of rosemary and lemongrass, organic aloe vera, and rosemary extract.
- This dog dandruff shampoo is 100% all-natural, USDA Certified Organic, hypoallergenic, and is made using only 6 ingredients.
- Product is detergent-free, paraben-free sulfate-free, safe and non-toxic, and includes NO artificial or synthetic ingredients.
- The lemongrass oil found in this shampoo naturally repels fleas, ticks, and other pesky critters, keeping them away from your dog.
- This dandruff dog shampoo truly is tear-free and completely, 100% safe for dogs of all ages and types because of its all-natural, certified organic ingredients.
- A few users report that their dog’s fur dries quicker after using this shampoo and that their fur is also much shiner and softer than when they used other dog shampoos.
- Many users report that they, and their dogs, love the smell of this shampoo and state that it smells like lemon grass and rosemary, very fresh and clean, with no heavy perfume smells because there are no perfumes in it, just natural oils.
- Users confirm that the concentrated formula is a great, long-lasting value because a little bit of this shampoo goes a very long way, and state that this shampoo lathers well, cleans their dogs off very effectively, and does not leave a residue or oil behind.
- Many users report that this shampoo worked better to soothe and clear-up their dog’s skin irritation, redness, and itchy flakes, better than any other dog dandruff shampoos they have used, including vet prescribed, and state that using this shampoo also helped to prevent their dogs skin issues from returning.
- One user reported that it did not leave her dog’s fur soft or fluffy.
- A few users report that this shampoo didn’t help their dogs to stop itching.
- A couple of users report not liking the scent of this shampoo, because they stated that it has a very strong lemon and soap scent.
Best Medicated Anti-Dandruff Dog Shampoo:
VetWELL Micoseb Medicated Shampoo
If your dog is dealing with dandruff and discomfort due to any number of bacterial, fungal, or yeast related issues, this powerful, prescription-strength, veterinarian recommended, broad-spectrum antibacterial and antifungal dog shampoo is for you.
- Powerful: 2% Miconazole...
- Effective: Veterinary Strength...
- Aloe Soothes Your Pet....
- Micoseb Treats Both Common...
- Made In The USA: Every Bottle...
This dog dandruff shampoo is strong enough to combat the root causes and painful side-effects of mange, ringworm, yeast infections, acne, and other skin conditions that lead to dry, irritated, inflamed, and flaky skin, while still being gentle and soothing on a dog’s sore spots, due to the aloe vera that this shampoo contains. At the time in which this review was written, VetWELL Micoseb Medicated Shampoo had a higher than average customer review rating (4.6 out of 5 stars), and was the 19th Best Seller within the category of “Dog Shampoos” on Amazon. Customers can purchase 12 ounces of this prescription-strength medicated shampoo for only $17.00 (prices may vary depending on when and where the product is purchased).
Must Know Facts:
- Powerful prescription-strength and veterinarian recommended, medicated antibacterial and antifungal shampoo.
- Every bottle of this dandruff dog shampoo is made in the U.S.A, in federally inspected labs, and is tested to ensure quality and safety.
- Effectively treats yeast infections, mange, ringworm, acne, and other forms of bacterial and fungal disorders and skin-conditions in dogs.
- This skin-soothing and healing formula contains pure aloe vera to help calm and relive a dog’s irritated skin and the painful sores that are associated with many bacterial and fungal infections.
- The active ingredients of 2% miconazole nitrate and 2% chlorhexidine gluconate shampoo work quickly and reliably to kill the bacteria and fungus that causes skin infections, itching, dandruff, and discomfort in dogs.
- This shampoo is fragrance-free, pH balanced, and formulated to effectively wash away the microorganisms that can cause itching, dry, scaly skin, dandruff, and discomfort leaving a dog with skin and a coat that is clean, soft, and smells and looks amazing.
- Unlike most chlorhexidine dandruff dog shampoos that are only anti-bacterial and leave the fungal issues untreated, this shampoo is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and combats both sides of the issue, allowing it to clear up a dog’s skin conditions more completely, and more quickly than other medicated dog dandruff shampoos.
- The highly effective ingredients included in this broad-spectrum, medicated shampoo help improve the state of a dog’s unhealthy skin or coat caused by fungi, yeast, bacteria, or general dermatitis including irritated and inflamed skin, itchy skin, greasiness, loss of hair, scaly skin, dandruff, and poor odor.
Directions: Shake well. Wet coat thoroughly with warm water. Apply shampoo to head and ears, then lather. Do not get shampoo into eyes. Repeat procedure with neck, chest middle and hindquarter, finishing with legs. Allow shampoo to be absorbed for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
Active Ingredients: 2% Miconazole Nitrate; 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate.
Inactive Ingredients: purified water, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, propylene glycol, cocamidopropyl betaine and cocamide MEA, glycol stearate, PEG 150 distearate, aloe vera, citric acid, methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) methylisothiazolinone.
- Every bottle of this shampoo is made in the U.S.A, in federally inspected labs, and is tested to ensure quality and safety.
- This shampoo contains the same active ingredients that other medicated shampoos contain, but at a much better price.
- Users report that this medicated shampoo does not smell bad and doesn’t leave their dogs stinking like medication, like many other medicated dog shampoos do.
- This shampoo contains pure aloe vera to help calm and relive a dog’s irritated skin and the painful sores that are associated with many bacterial and fungal infections.
- This shampoo is both antibacterial and antifungal, unlike many other medicated shampoos that are only antibacterial, leaving the dog’s fungal issues unaddressed.
- Many users report that this dandruff dog shampoo worked exceptionally well on their dogs that have extremely sensitive skin and allergies, when no other shampoo was gentle enough.
- Users report that a little bit of this shampoo goes a long way, and state that it lathers and rinses out well, and leaves their dog’s with very soft fur, and smelling wonderful.
- This shampoo is a powerful, prescription-strength, medicated shampoo that can be purchased to treat a wide variety of skin conditions in dogs, without needing a prescription.
- Multiple users report that this shampoo works amazingly well to clear up ringworm, as well as yeast infections, and the skin conditions in dogs that are caused by having too much yeast on their skin.
- A few users report that this dog dandruff shampoo is very effective at treating and eliminating canine acne, after putting a bit of the diluted shampoo on gauze pads and rubbing the medicated formula on the spots in which their dog gets acne, users of this product report that their dog’s acne is gone.
- Many users report that this shampoo effectively treated and cleared-up skin disorders related to environmental / flea allergies, as well as bacterial, fungal, and yeast infections, when no other shampoo, even veterinary prescribed shampoos, helped to treat or clear up the condition in their dogs.
- One user reports that this dog dandruff shampoo does not lather well.
- Because it is a medicated shampoo, it might not smell as sweet or fresh, or be as fragrant as a non-medicated shampoo is.
- Also because this is a medicated shampoo, and you can not know for certain how your dog will react to the medications included in the shampoo, it is always best to test the shampoo out on a small spot on your dog, and wait an hour or two to see how your dog reacts to the shampoo, before using it all over their body.
READ NEXT: The Vet’s Guide on Buying Shampoo for Dogs