Table of Contents
- Calorie Requirements for Schnauzers
- Nutritional Requirements for Schnauzers
- Foods to Avoid for Schnauzers
- 5 Best Dog Food for Schnauzers Brands
Most manufacturers producing food for Schnauzers try to determine ingredients that will provide all the essential nutrients to fit the activity, body size, and genetics of this particular breed. Because of the popularity of this breed, finding the best dog food for Schnauzers isn't always that difficult, luckily.
There will be nutritional differences between the three breed types of Schnauzers (mini, standard, and giant) and we'll address those below in the article. Regardless, the best pet food brands should meet all AAFCO standards on how to feed Schnauzers and offer completely balanced nutrition.
|Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Adult Breed...||Check Price|
|ORIJEN Dog Six Fish Recipe, 25lb, High-Protein...||Check Price|
|Farmina Natural And Delicious Lamb And Ancestral...||Check Price|
Calorie Requirements for Schnauzers
Schnauzers are loyal, energetic, and highly intelligent animals bred initially as work dogs. Nowadays, there are three breed variants, including the giant, standard, and miniature ones. Depending on their size, they will have specific nutrition demands. To avoid weight gain, the crucial thing is to measure your particular Schnauzer's needs for nutrients and treats in calories instead of volume.
Requirements for Giant Schnauzers
Adult giant Schnauzers weigh from 60 to 80 pounds (27 – 36 kg), and they should get up to 2800 calories per day, especially if they are highly active. It is necessary to provide about 1680 calories for a puppy, while seniors will be in good shape with 1500 calories daily.
Requirements for Standard Schnauzers
Since standard Schnauzers are from 30 to 50 pounds (13.6 – 22.7 kg) weigh, they will need approximately 1600 calories a day, depending on how active they are. While the needs of puppies are up to 1000 calories, seniors will require only 800 calories a day.
Requirements for Miniature Schnauzers
Mini Schnauzers weigh from 12 to 20 pounds (5.5 – 9 kg) and require 775 calories a day on average, depending on the level of their activity. It is necessary to provide 480 calories for puppies and only 390 calories for seniors.
Nutritional Requirements for Schnauzers
All three types of Schnauzers need a balanced diet to keep a healthy weight, energy level, quality coat, desirable mood, and adequate body condition. Their portions need to contain all the necessary nutrients that match their weight and size.
Schnauzers will benefit from food containing proteins from various sources, including bison, beef, lamb, chicken, and fish, which will provide plenty of vital amino acids. More active dogs require a higher proportion of protein in their diet to develop muscle properly.
Schnauzers need from 5 to 10% fats to stay healthy, active, and full of energy. For them, the most beneficial is fish oil, which contains plenty of Omega fatty acids, chicken fat, coconut, and flaxseed. On the other hand, a too high level of fat in their diet will lead to laziness and obesity.
Complex carbs from peas, sweet potatoes, barley, and oats provide Schnauzers with energy. The owners should avoid food containing corn and soy since they can cause problems with digestion.
Vitamins and minerals
Schnauzers require enough vitamins D and K, as well as minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus daily. They will improve their immune system and promote teeth and bone health.
Foods to Avoid for Schnauzers
Chocolate – It is highly toxic for this particular breed and can cause heart failure and even death.
Alcohol and caffeine – They are dangerous for Schnauzers' heart.
Some fruit – The cyanide from apricots, apples, plums, cherries, and peaches can be lethal to Schnauzers. Also, citrus, grapes, and raisin usually lead to digestive issues and kidney failure, and it is better to exclude them from the dogs' diet.
Walnuts and macadamia – In most cases, they cause loss of appetite, vomiting, weakness, and muscle tremors.
Garlic, onion, and chives – These ingredients damage red blood cells, which often lead to anemia.
5 Best Dog Food for Schnauzers Brands
1 Royal Canin Dry Dog Food for Schnauzers
by Royal Canin
This brand is well-known for offering specific options for particular breeds, including Schnauzers. It is not always necessary, but in some cases, it is better to make such a choice. Miniature Schnauzers will enjoy this food containing 29% protein and 12% fat, created to improve digestive health. Beneficial antioxidants and Omega fatty acids will support their immune system.
- FORMULATED FOR PUREBRED...
- SPECIALIZED KIBBLE: Unique...
- SKIN SUPPORT: Essential...
- HEALTHY COAT: Helps provide...
- WEIGHT MANAGEMENT: Adult dog...
- The design of the smooth and round kibble is adjusted to Schnauzers
- It contains L-carnitine recommended for overweight dogs
- Kibbles are easy to chew and excellent for teeth
- There is a specific, low fat, canned gastrointestinal option available
- There is no variety of flavors
2 Orijen Dog Food for Schnauzer
- Find it on Amazon
- Unavailable on Chewy
This biologically suitable food for Schnauzer adult dogs and puppies contains raw ingredients, including meat, fish, vegetables, and fruits. This product meets Fido’s taste test and all AAFCO standards. Since the ingredients are natural, the dog can digest them without the occurrence of an allergic reaction.
- ORIJEN Six Fish dog food...
- With 85% quality animal...
- Using fresh and raw animal...
- Our Fresh Regional Ingredients...
- Kibble is small and convenient for puppies
- It contains an excellent protein, fat and fiber ratio
- The food offers necessary vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fatty acids crucial for boosting the immune system and promoting healthy bones and joints
- It is free of fillers, artificial additives, and preservatives
- It is highly expensive food
3 Natural Balance Limited Dry Dog Food
by Natural Balance
The most valuable thing about this particular food is that it contains balanced nutrition with 21% protein, 10% fat, essential Omega 3, and 5% fiber. Even though it is not officially a hypoallergenic choice, most dogs suffering from allergies can get benefits from this recipe. Miniature Schnauzers and puppies will love this formula containing venison or salmon with potato.
- Contains (1) 26 pound bag of...
- Grain-free, limited ingredient...
- Helps minimize the number of...
- Maintains digestive health
- Supports healthy skin and a...
- This formula contains the necessary calcium and phosphorus for healthy bones
- The advantage of this grain-free product is the absence of artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives
- It is available in two styles and four sizes
- The price is affordable
- It is not suitable for every dog
4 Farmina Natural Dry Dog Food for Schnauzers
It is an excellent and tasty gluten-free and grain-free recipe with chicken and pomegranate suitable for mini and medium puppies of Schnauzer. Plus, this Schnauzer dog food is beneficial for pups with health issues. High-quality kibble is full of beneficial animal ingredients, fruits, and vegetables.
- Specialty Kibble Size: Small...
- Complete Dog Food For All Life...
- High Level Of Fresh Protein,...
- Dry food contains 36% protein and 22% fat, while wet option includes 10.5% protein and 6.5% fat
- It provides vitamin A, D3, and E, as well as essential minerals
- The dry dog food formula meets the AAFCO nutritional requirements
- It is entirely GMO-free
- Unfortunately, this product smell unpleasantly
5 Stella & Chewy's Dog Food
by Stella & Chewy's
It is an excellent gluten-free and grain-free dog food for Schnauzer dogs. It contains at least 90% of minimally processed organs, meat, and bones and offers great nutritional benefits. This food helps in improving the immune system, digestion, and overall vitality of Schnauzers. Plus, the dog will have strong teeth and gums, as well as a healthy coat and skin.
- Love Is Raw: Our Freeze-Dried...
- Irresistible Taste Dogs Love!...
- Whole Prey Ingredients:...
- Grain Free: Easy for canines...
- Supports Whole Body Health:...
- Since it is not cooked, this food still contains all the essential nutrients
- This diet includes 100% organic fruits and vegetable
- It is available in seven sizes
- This food doesn't include any antibiotics, hormones, and fillers
- Dehydrated raw turkey meal meets all AAFCO standards
- The formula is often inconsistent