A dog needs a house for several reasons, not least of which is because a dog house keeps them warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and dry in rain or snow.
Moreover, a good dog house for outdoors or indoors provides shelter, and the feeling of safety and security for dogs which they often seek, and satisfy their urge to den and hideaway.
Table of Contents
- The Best Dog Houses for Outdoors and Indoors
- 10 Floppy Dawg Just Chillin' Portable Dog House by Floppy Dog
- 9 DH350 Dog House by Suncast
- 8Step 2 Cozy Cottage Dog House by Pet Zone
- 7Rustic Pet House by TRIXIE Pet Products
- 6ASL Solutions Foam Insulated Dog Palace by ASL
- 5Wood Room with a View Pet House by Merry Products
- 4Precision Extreme Outback Log Cabin for Dogs by Petmate
- 3Arf Frame Dog House with Dark Frame by Pet Squeak
- 2Step 2 Tuff-N-Rugged Dog House by Pet Zone
- 1Indigo Dog House with Microban by Petmate
- 10 Dog House Options as Alternatives
Some pet owners argue that dogs are not den animals, and that's partially true – they're not 100% obligate den animals; however, it has been proven that dogs love dens and love hiding away in dog houses or dog crates.
Dog houses are also useful in training, dog care and simply providing pets with a more well-rounded living.
Below we'll discuss the benefits of using dog houses whether indoors or outdoors, how to pick the right one for your pet and review the best dog houses for outdoors and indoors.
|Petmate Indigo Dog House All-Weather Protection...||1,371 Reviews||Check Price|
|Pet Zone Tuff-N-Rugged Weather-Resistant Dog...||206 Reviews||Check Price|
|Raincol Arf Frame Dog House, Large||132 Reviews||Check Price|
|Petmate Precision Extreme Outback Log Cabin Dog...||3,713 Reviews||Check Price|
|Merry Pet MPS002 Wood Room with a View Pet House||1,216 Reviews||Check Price|
How to Pick the Best Dog House for Your Pup?
When it comes to picking the best dog house, measuring the dog for a perfect fit is one of the most important steps. A dog must always be able to comfortably fit in the dog house and want to stay inside there.
Similar to crates, a dog house cannot be too tight or too roomy.
The risks of that are dog not being comfortable or defecating in the dog house. Or, they will rather sleep next to it than inside.
The best way to achieve this is to accurately measure your dog. Take your dog's width and length (while he's standing straight) as well as your dog's weight into consideration.
Pay close attention to the dimensions of dog houses indicated on the product's page, and always leave just a little room extra.
Canines love their houses, it's a natural instinct for them. Professionals call this “sheltering your dog.” Remember that not all dogs are suited for outdoor OR indoor living, and a dog house may be of help here.
“Not all dogs are suited to outdoor living. Even with a high quality dog house which meets every requirement of the law, old dogs, puppies, small breeds, and short-haired breeds will be severely stressed, even to the point of death by outdoor living in a Minnesota winter.” – Animal Humane Society [source]
With the above in mind, it's important for you to know whether your dog house indoors or outdoors is well-suited for your specific dog. If you don't know your pet well enough, consult with a vet or a trainer.
The Best Dog Houses for Outdoors and Indoors
10 Floppy Dawg Just Chillin' Portable Dog House
by Floppy Dog
At the 10th position, I decided to include a portable dog house. This Floppy Dawg Portable Pet House and Containment System can be quickly constructed for your dog outside whenever necessary.
- Portable Dog House Measures...
- Use Inside During Cold Winters...
- Lightweight and Portable. Easy...
- Metal Frame Construction and...
- Includes a Soft Pad that Lays...
It has come with instructions for easy setup and breakdown, so it usually takes about 5 minutes to put it up. You can even use this dog home in cars. Its mesh vents are very durable and claw-proof.
This is one of the most popular and best cheap dog houses due to its mobility, low price, and ease of use.
It's ergonomic and clearly wouldn't pose any issues if you want to store it.
However, as some pet owners pointed out in dog house reviews, not all dogs may be keen on living in this dog tent because it doesn't feel sturdy enough.
9 DH350 Dog House
Obviously, no list of best dog houses is complete without the Suncast DH350 dog house, which is currently one of the most popular homes for dogs on Amazon.
It's pretty standard, looks good, is safe, and easy to set up.
- OUTDOOR DOG HOUSE: Attractive...
- DURABLE: Constructed from...
- CONVENIENT: Dog house snaps...
- BUILT TO LAST: The...
- DOOR INCLUDED: Vinyl door...
There's nothing special about it, but does it really need anything special? This simple and cheap dog house works, and that's the most important thing.
Although it's clearly plastic-looking, dogs don't mind that, so as long as you're fine with it, this can be an affordable option.
This dog house fits pooches up to 100 lbs, comes with vinyl doors and you can even personalize your dog's name above the entrance (letters are provided).
8Step 2 Cozy Cottage Dog House
by Pet Zone
What looks to be a pretty simple, plastic-y design is actually one of the best dog houses available on Amazon for a fair price.
Pet Zone's Step 2 Cozy Cottage dog house will make sure your pooch is cool in summer and warm in winter, and will accommodate any Fido up to 80 pounds.
- DOUBLE-WALL DESIGN: Keeps pets...
- ALL WEATHER CONSTRUCTION:...
- EASY ASSEMBLY & CLEANING: Easy...
- INTERIOR DIMENSIONS: 20 ¼”...
- MADE IN THE USE: Proudly Made...
This dog house has double-walls for extra insulation, is very easy to clean and assemble without any tools whatsoever, and is made in the USA out of very durable plastic.
While its plastic design has a lot of positive features, its also the main drawback of this dog house because it does not look as stylish as some elevated best wood dog houses we discuss below; it does look a little plastic-y.
7Rustic Pet House
by TRIXIE Pet Products
For the 7th place of TopDogTips best dog houses for either indoors or outdoors, I found that TRIXIE Pet Products Rustic dog house fits perfectly well.
It's solid, weatherproof pine construction that's resistant to drafts is exactly what every dog needs.
- Weatherproof solid pine...
- Removable raised floor allows...
- Roof with locking arm opens...
- Trixie plastic dog door sold...
- Suitable for medium size dogs...
The design is great and it looks absolutely stunning inside and outside, just what you'd expect from your vacation cottage.
This elevated wooden dog house is also raised from the floor which is a very useful feature, its roof has a locking arm, its feet are adjustable, and you can even remove the floor if you want (although there's rarely a reason to do that).
In addition, you can also purchase a separate plastic door for this dog house.
6ASL Solutions Foam Insulated Dog Palace
A much more expensive option of best dog houses is the ASL Solutions Foam dog palace.
To be honest, this dog home would've been in a place closer to number #1, but its price makes me want to drop this house by a few places. With that being said, this dog house itself is a good deal.
- Insulated dog house that is...
- Up to 4" of real foam...
- Insulated outdoor dog house...
- Durable and easy to clean and...
It's very well insulated which is important for dogs in more extreme climates (too cold or too hot).
The barn style dog home also looks good, has up to 4 inches of real Styro/EPS foam for its insulation per each panel to maintain a comfortable for the canine temperature inside.
The door is self-closing and very easy for pets to pass through, and the house itself is durable and easy to clean.
5Wood Room with a View Pet House
by Merry Products
One of the more popular and best looking dog houses out there, Merry Pet MPS002 Wood Room with a View Pet House deserves this place due to its quality build and really low price (considering what you're getting here).
- Durable pet home ideal for...
- Made from kiln-dried cedar and...
- Designed for smaller pets....
- Easy 20-minute assembly with...
- Includes balcony, latticework,...
One of the top-rated dog houses on Amazon, it's very durable and is ideal for either indoors or outdoors.
Mostly designed for smaller pets, this dog house can be assembled in less than 20 minutes, and all necessary tools are provided.
Its balcony, latticework, and cute side steps are what sell this dog house – it looks absolutely stunning!
We've also recently reviewed Merry Products dog crate, which dog owners find to look amazing indoors, and the Merry Products company seem to have a great reputation among pet owners.
4Precision Extreme Outback Log Cabin for Dogs
At the 4th place of top rated houses is yet another option that is a great price for value.
Petmate's wooden dog house was very easy to assemble, it looked ultra-cute and is very ergonomic. It resembles a true log cabin for dogs.
- LARGE DOG HOUSE: Cabin dog...
- Dimensions: 46.1" x 32.7" x...
- Durable: With solid wood &...
- KENNELS & HOUSES: Crate &...
- PRECISION PET: Precision Pet...
This dog house's naturally weather-resistant materials will keep your pooch warm, safe, dry, and cool whenever necessary (all materials are non-toxic).
Surprisingly, the dog home is very light to carry if you need to, but is also durable and obviously sturdy.
Raised floor is also a good advantage to have for the dog as it keeps pets warm in winter and cool in summer, as well as dry during strong rain. Wooden dog house is always more stylish, too.
3Arf Frame Dog House with Dark Frame
by Pet Squeak
One of the truly best dog houses yet very affordable is another one of Pet Squeak's Arf Frame dog houses.
This home is also very easy and quick to assemble, have similar non-toxic and weather-resistant materials to keep your dog warm and dry, and the raised floor will make sure that nothing accidentally sips into the house of your pet.
- Easy Assembly
- Naturally Weather-Resistant,...
- Lightweight and Durable
- Raised Floor
The dog home itself looks great inside and outside and can be used indoors or outdoors.
It's a very stylish and sturdy dog house that will not only fit most backyards but also make your yard better looking just by its presence.
Check out customer reviews as well, which is where most of the positive response comes from.
2Step 2 Tuff-N-Rugged Dog House
by Pet Zone
The second best dog house you might want to consider for your pet is Pet Zone Step 2 Tuff-N-Rugged Dog House.
Unlike his smaller version from above, these best dog houses are bigger and more stable (which is why dog owners prefer this).
- DOUBLE-WALL DESIGN: Keeps pets...
- ALL WEATHER CONSTRUCTION:...
- EASY ASSEMBLY & CLEANING: Easy...
- INTERIOR DIMENSIONS: 27 ¾”...
- MADE IN THE USE: Proudly Made...
It accommodates pets up to 130 lbs and will keep them warm in winter and cool in summer without any issues. Its double walls provide the perfect insulation to achieve those goals.
Pet Zone's dog house is made in the USA of very durable plastic, and you can assemble it very easily and quickly without any tools.
While it's not as stylish as the wooden dog house from Pet Squeak above, its price makes this a great option for a cheap dog house for most pet owners.
It's pretty simple but it works perfectly for dogs.
1Indigo Dog House with Microban
First of the best dog houses is of course the well-known Petmate Indigo Dog House with Microban.
This new home for your pet includes a doorway that's extended and offset to prevent drafts, rain, snow, wind, and another type of nasty stuff coming inside of the house like it does with some other ones.
- IGLOO DOG HOUSE: This heavy...
- DIMENSIONS: 43.8" x 34" x...
- LARGE DOG HOUSE: The raised...
- KENNELS & HOUSES: Crate &...
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we...
Another thing that no other one of those best dog houses has is its Microban – this stuff helps to fight off random odors, bacteria, mold, mildew, stains, fungi and other gross growths that can accumulate around the house or even inside of it over time.
Petmate's dog house is made out of structural foam which provides the perfect level of insulation for any season.
There's also a roof vent that helps your Fido to breathe better with continual airflow inside of the home.
The house itself is very easy to setup – takes just minutes, and no tools are required at all.
Check out all those customer reviews on Amazon from dog owners stoked about their pet's new home.
10 Dog House Options as Alternatives
The above list of ten best houses for dogs should provide every pet owner with enough choice to find something suitable. However, if you were unable to pick any house, the below are ten alternatives of dog houses which we recommend.
11. Pawhut Large Dog House Lodge with Porch (38 x 67 x 31 inch) – An extra large dog house perfect for big dogs and medium to large breeds.
It's one of the more stylish best dog houses that are out there and has an elevated design.
It has its flaws: there's an issue with being too fragile during shipping, with some pet owners receiving this dog lodge with broken parts.
And even though it's advertised as a dog house for large dogs, it won't fit the largest breeds but rather medium to large dogs.
12. Indoor Outdoor Dog House All Weather (19.58 x 29.53 x 7.24 inch) – A medium-size plastic house with, average design with fairly durable construction and a very cheap dog house compared to most other options on the list.
It's very easy to assemble and the concept is very simplistic as well, which makes the dog house look cheap.
However, it may be a good option for dog owners looking to get a shelter for their pet outside for any weather and for an inexpensive price tag.
13. Best Friends by Sheri Pet Honeycomb in Sherpa (17 x 13 x 12 inch) – Often bought as a cat house, this small and cheap dog house works very well for small dogs and the majority of small dog breeds.
There's no construction required since it's a soft dog house made from ultra soft Sherpa fabric.
It's machine-washable and has an insert which you can remove for washing separately.
The main advantage of this small dog house is that it's very lightweight and mobile, and it's one of the cheapest ones.
14. Petsfit Wooden Dog House (45.6 x 30.9 x 32.1 inch) – This is another one of the large cheap dog houses that's a good alternative to above listed best wooden dog houses that are expensive.
The size of this pet house makes it a good fit for most large dogs but an extra-large breed wouldn't fit.
It's an elevated dog house with a well-design concept, a slanted rooftop, and made of quality materials (kiln died ceder), which makes it perfect for outdoors and long-term use.
15. MidWest Portable Tent Crate (31 x 21.75 x 23.75 inch) – For owners not particularly interested in a study, wooden dog house, this soft dog crate may be a great alternative. This is a good fit for most dogs of small to medium size under 40 lbs. One of the advantages of using a dog crate as opposed to one of the best dog houses outdoor is that it has a folding steel frame and can be easily moved, making it easy for travel. Water resistant material makes it a good outdoor dog crate, too.
16. Suncast DH250 House (27 x 35 x 29 inch) – Another plastic dog house from Suncast, but much cheaper than the best outdoor dog houses listed above. This house for dogs is made from durable resin and will be a good fit for medium to large dogs up to 70 lbs. Its simplistic design makes it very easy to assemble and disassemble whenever needed. There's a crowned floor and a vinyl doorway cover to keep the dog warm and dry during rough weather. For the price, it's a good house.
17. OLizee Pet PopUp Tent with Fitted Foam Pad (34 x 34 x 40 inch) – This is a very cheap and affordable dog tent made with average quality materials, and it's a good alternative to an outdoor dog house. Its large removable cover and flooring make it easy to wash the tent. Even though you can keep your dog in this dog tent, most pets do not enjoy the design of this, therefore it's best used as a dog house cover or a soft dog crate cover, particularly for those that are indoors.
18. Home Sweet Home Pet House with Bones (16 x 16 x 14 inch) – A very affordable dog house with a cute design, this one makes a perfect dog home slash dog bed for indoor. It's made from ultra-soft polyfoam and is covered poly fabric, and feels like a secure and cozy soft dog house for small dogs. Anti-slip material and easy to wash stylish design are great additions. Considering the small price tag, this is an inexpensive, affordable dog house for indoors that will fit majority pets.
19. Pet Squeak Porch Pups House (35 x 37 x 30 inch) – Dog owners who can't get over the idea of having one of the best outdoor dog houses but cannot afford the expensive wooden house for dogs listed above will find this very stylish but less ergonomic wood dog house with a cheap price tag very appealing. It fits medium sized dogs and has a decent looking exterior. The design is cheap and made of low quality materials, however, which ultimately makes this a lightweight, easy to move.
20. ZZPMC Luxury High-end Double Pet House (16.54 x 19.69 x 15.75 inch) – One of the cheapest dog houses for indoors out there, this is an affordable pet house for anybody with very small dogs. It's made from very soft yet cheap and low quality materials, and is generally good for teacup dog breeds or pets around the size of up to 10-15 lbs. The design of this looks and feels cheap, but for the price it's offered, this may be a good temporary indoor dog house for many pet owners.
The above ten alternative pet houses completes our list. This should be more than enough for most pet owners to find something for their dogs. Before you pick your next dog home, make sure you know what criteria to look at, read other pet owners dog house reviews and measure your dog for a good fit.
READ NEXT: Top 10 Best Dog Houses for Winter