Dog dental chews are designed to be both an attractive toy and an effective product for improving dental health. They massage a dog's gums and scrape plaque from a dog's teeth. Other than brushing your dog's teeth, using dental treats is one of the best ways to improve a dog's oral health.
Table of Contents
- 5 Vet Recommended Dog Dental Chews
However, not all dental treats are created equal. Some of them are safer and more effective than others. As a veterinarian, I've tried and analyzed a number of products, and below I'll walk you through some of my favorite vet recommended dog dental chews.
Features of Dog Dental Chews to Consider
To be considered a premium product, a dog dental chew needs to fulfill a few desired features, which are the primary reasons for you to buy them. Consider the below.
Not all dental chews, including some recommended by the VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council), are highly effective. Therefore, it is crucial to ask your veterinarian and check reviews and previous experiences of dog owners about each brand.
Even though dental chews keep the dog's teeth clean, they may also reduce the deposits only to a certain extent. Still, the reduction of tartar and plaque by 10% to 20% can't prevent periodontal disease in all animals, especially those with a predisposition to this dental condition.
Depending on your pet's preferences, there are both edible and non-edible dental chews for dogs available on the market.
Edible chews are primarily used to clean a dog's teeth and they are a delicious treat, as well, while non-edible chews provide teeth cleaning when the dog gnaws on them.
Luckily, most products offer a wide variety of flavors for dogs with different tastes and picky eaters. Choosing a palatable dog dental chew will make the product more attractive to your pet. The pleasant taste will encourage the animal to chew the treat more and clean the teeth simultaneously.
Longevity is a crucial feature for a non-edible dental chew. It needs to be strong enough to entertain the dog for a long time so that the dog's teeth get a thorough cleaning as opposed to be swallowed or forgotten about after five seconds.
Since most of the products are designed in several sizes, it is not too complicated to choose an adequate one, depending on your dog's size and weight. Too big dental chews are not convenient for chewing, and if the treats are too small, they may cause choking.
|GREENIES Original Regular Natural Dog Dental Care...||4,848 Reviews||$10.34||Buy on Amazon|
|Natural Balance Dental Chews Dog Treats for Medium...||328 Reviews||$15.78||Buy on Amazon|
|Whimzees Alligator Dental Dog Treats Small (17...||866 Reviews||$11.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Zuke'S Z-Bone Dental Chew Dog Treats||737 Reviews||$14.25||Buy on Amazon|
|PEDIGREE DENTASTIX Toy/Small Dog Dental Treats...||1,789 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
Benefits of Dog Dental Chews
The purpose of dog dental treats is to provide oral benefits for your pet, but using them needs to come with precautions, primarily when used by puppies and senior dogs. Some of the primary benefits of these vet recommended dog dental chews are below.
Prevents dental disease
Unfortunately, more than 80% of dogs over three years old suffer from active dental disease. Some of them have an issue with periodontal disease graded on a scale from 1 to 4. Graduation depends on the severity of the condition.
Giving your dog a dental chew daily will increase salivation, which will decrease the number of bacteria in the dog's mouth. That may prevent oral diseases and reduce problems with tartar and plaque forming.
Cleans teeth and gums
Primarily, this type of product is designed to help the dog keep teeth clean and gums healthy (on top of daily brushing). The shape of some top rated dental dog chews provides in-depth and detailed cleaning as your pet gnaws on them, which is why many veterinarians often recommend them over regular treats.
Quality dental hygiene will prevent bad breath in dogs. If your dog chews a dental treat containing mint, spearmint, or parsley, it will get both tartar-free teeth and fresh breath.
Some such edible chews may contain nutritious and beneficial ingredients, which may improve the dog's digestive health while also cleaning their teeth. Moreover, some products include essential vitamins as well as nutrients that will enhance the immune system of the animal.
Finally, edible dental chews for dogs are both useful products and delicious treats for the dog. Except for cleaning teeth, they can be used as a reward during dog training or anywhere else you normally use “regular” treats.
5 Vet Recommended Dog Dental Chews
1 Greenies Dental Dog Chews and Treats
Thanks to their unique texture, these very popular dog dental chews made with natural ingredients will clean the teeth of your dog down to the gumline. The vets recommend them since they clean tartar and plaque, provide fresh breath, and add vitamins and minerals to your dog's daily diet.
- Contains one (1) 6 oz. 6-count...
- The unique texture of GREENIES...
- GREENIES Treats for Dogs are...
- Treat your dog fantastically...
- GREENIES Dog Treats are...
- The product is approved by the VOHC
- It is available in four sizes and a few flavors suitable for most dog breeds
- These natural dental sticks are easy to digest and can reduce gum disease and improve the overall dog's health
- Made in the USA
- The product is not recommended for dogs under 5 pounds (2.3 kg)
- It is not gluten-free, which is crucial for the dogs sensitive to this ingredient
- It is quite expensive
2 Natural Balance Dental Dog Chews and Treats
by Natural Balance
These tasty dental chews made of natural ingredients help in reducing the formation of tartar and plaque. Since they are edible and available in a range of flavors, they are suitable for most dogs. A grain-free formula is an excellent option for gluten-sensitive dogs and those with allergies to grains.
- Contains 1 Pack Of Dog Dental...
- Helps Reduce Plaque And Tartar
- Easy To Digest
- Helps Freshen Breath
- Supports Immune Function With...
- Added vitamin C improves the immunity of the dog
- The easy-to-digest formula will freshen the dog's breath
- Small dogs usually enjoy these dental chews
- Since sticks are too hard, they are not recommended for senior dogs
- Some owners have complained that the product negatively affected their dogs with a sensitive stomach
3 Whimzees Dental Chews for Dogs
Chewing these pleasantly-tasted chews helps in the prevention of tartar and plaque build-up and bad breath in dogs. The product made of six ingredients is an excellent option for dogs between 40 and 60 pounds (18 – 27 kg).
- Dental Treats: Whimzees Small...
- All Natural: These Highly...
- Limited Ingredient: These...
- Unique Shapes: Hollow Shapes...
- These vegetable-based dental chews are natural and healthy
- Sticks are entirely gluten-free and don't contain artificial flavors and colors
- It is a GMO-free product
- They may cause gastric and digestion problems
- Seniors may have difficulties to chew these hard sticks
4 Zuke’s Z-Bones Oral Dog Chews
These chews, available in multiple sizes and flavors, help the dog keeps its gums healthy. Thanks to advanced formula, this product is an excellent choice for polishing teeth and freshening dog's breath.
- New Packaging, Same...
- Contains One (1) 15 Oz....
- Every Bite Is Loaded With...
- Parsley, Alfalfa And Fennel...
- Made Without Wheat Gluten,...
- Product is available in various tastes, including herbs, apple, pumpkin, berry, carrot, and peas
- Made in regular, mini, large, and giant variations, these sticks are entirely grain-free
- Made in the USA
- It is not a product designed for dogs under 10 pounds (4.5 kg)
- Sticks are too soft, so dogs may choose to eat rather than chew them
- They may cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs with a sensitive stomach
5 Pedigree Dentastix Dental Treats for Dogs
The patented X-shape of sticks will prevent the build-up tartar and plaque on the dog's teeth down to the line of the gum. Available in various flavors, including bacon, chicken, or beef, they are an ideal option for most dogs, especially larger breeds.
- Contains one (1) 1.68 lb....
- PEDIGREE DENTASTIX Triple...
- Our dental dog treats have an...
- These tasty dog breath treats...
- PEDIGREE DENTASTIX Dental...
- These chews are available in two sizes and multiple flavors
- It improves the freshens of the dog's breath
- It is an affordable product made in the USA
- The product doesn't have the approval of VOHC
- It is not suitable for dogs under 5 pounds (2.3 kg)
- Sticks are not gluten-free
For keeping your dog's teeth healthy, on top of daily brushing, it is necessary to pick out the right dental dog chews. It is critical to limit edible or too hard treats and be careful with compressed ones. The best choice is flexible dental chews that won't break off to sharp pieces and endangered the dog after swallowing them. The above five vet recommended dog dental chews have been some of my favorites over the years.