If you’re like me, you like having a book to hold in the kitchen. Videos and websites are great, but when I am working with recipes, I like to have a book I can read, that I can make notes in, and that I can shop with. It’s no different for homemade dog food recipes. Here are my picks for the top books for dog food recipes. Some are available in Kindle if you don’t like book form.
1. The Healthy Cat and Dog Cookbook: Natural Recipes Using Nutritious, Economical Foods and Good Advice for Happier, Healthier, and More Beautiful Pets by Joan Harper
This is a great book for people who own cats and dogs. You can find it as low as $1.99 for a gently used copy on Barnes & Noble. It has a 4 ½ star rating on Amazon, but this paperback can be purchased through many retailers.
2. The Homemade Dog Food Bible: Over 25 of The Best Dog Food Recipes That Every Pup Will Love by Martha Stephenson
This new book will make your pooch the envy of the block. With new, exciting recipes, pick this book up to really spice things up in your dog’s food bowl. For $12.99 at Books-A-Million you can purchase this trade-paperback brand new. There’s nothing like receiving a new, crisp book ready for your enjoyment alone.
3. Home Cooking for Your Dog: 75 Holistic Recipes for a Healthier Dog by Christi Filardi
If you still don’t know if you want to go “all-in” with dog food, this is the book for you. It has recipes for cooking, raw food diets, and just treats. The author packs the pages with her own experiences in the kitchen so you can make an easy transition in your home. You can get this book in electronic format for $9.99 on Amazon.
4. Dog Food Recipes: Healthy and Easy Homemade Meals and Treats for Your Best Friend by Jennifer H. Smith
Not just a recipe book, this book will educate you on the dos and don’ts for making your own dog food. With ban lists and portion control, you will know what to feed your pup and how much to feed your pup. Don’t worry, it also has complete recipes where all you have to do is follow the directions. Available for $2.99 as a Barnes and Noble “Nook Book”.
5. Why Leave It to Chance?: Best 50 Homemade Dog Food Recipes to Teach You How to Make Dog Foods by Martha Stephenson
This is a simple book with recipes for your four-legged family members. There is a great variety in this book. If you want to cook three meals a day for your pooch, the recipes are in here. Want to make bulk food and then freeze? No problem. There are crockpot meals in this book as well. You can pick this up for $17.99 at Books-A-Million.
6. Feed Your Best Friend Better: Easy, Nutritious Meals and Treats for Dogs by Rick Woodfard
If you want a book that is tried and tested, check out this one. On Amazon, it has 358 reviews and still maintains a 4 ½ star rating. For only $10.26 in paperback, or $7.99 on Kindle, you can own this informative book. Not just recipes, you will find tips and tricks for preparing, cooking, and storing your homemade dog food. It even has recipes for food you can share with your pooch.
7. Dog Food Recipes Cookbook: Dog Treat Recipes, Raw Dog Food Recipes and Healthy Dog Food Secrets by Karen Armstrong
Another multi-functional book, this gives you recipes for cooked and raw food meals. You can get this 5-star rated book from $11.08 used at Barnes & Noble. If you would rather a new book, those are available as well. Loaded with over 130 recipes, you are sure to find ones that your fur-baby love.
8. Real Food for Dogs: 50 Vet-Approved Recipes to Please the Canine Gastronome by Arden Moore
The meals in this cook book will make sure that although you have gone to homemade dog food, your canine will still get all the nutrition it needs. If you are concerned that your meals will not provide what your dog needs, use these veterinarians approved meals. Get this canine cook book for as low as $1.99 used from Barnes & Noble. Take the guess work out of feeding your pet.
9. The Dogs Dinner: How to Prepare Nutritious and Healthy Meals for Your Dog by James Romsey
If you want to know the ins and out of dog nutrition, this is a good place to start. It will teach you what foods are good, and what foods are bad, for your canine. If gives specifics on how much fat, carbs, proteins, etc. that your dog needs every day. For $9.99 at Books-A-Million, you can become an educated dog food preparer.
10. The Healthy Hound Cookbook: Over 125 Easy Recipes by Paris Permenter
With 125 simple, nutritious meals, this may be the only dog food recipe book you will ever need. This 4 ½ star book is currently on promotion at Kindle Unlimited for FREE. Don’t miss out on this great bargain.
11. Dinner PAWsible: A Cookbook of Nutritious, Homemade Meals for Cats and Dogs by Cathy Alinovi
This veterinarian author is also certified in holistic healing, including chiropractic care for animals, aromatherapy, acupuncture, and food therapy. Let her help you by buying his helpful book of homemade dog food recipes. Rated 4 ½ stars, you can get this digital download for $9.95 or get the paperback for $10.00.
12. The Natural Pet Food Cookbook: Healthful Recipes for Dogs and Cats by Wendy Nan Rees
Hard on books? Don’t worry, you can get this great book in hard-cover format for $27.66 from Barnes & Noble. This has recipes for cat and dog food all in one sturdy, convenient book. With tips, techniques, and warnings, this is all you need to get started on the homemade dog food craze.
13. Dog Food Recipes: 101 Easy Recipes for Healthy, Homemade Dog Food by Kristina Newman
You don’t have to have 101 Dalmatian puppies to enjoy this book. You don’t like eating the same thing every day, and neither does your furry family member. For only $7.99 you can get this paperback at Books-A-Million. If all you want is recipes, then this is a great find for you.
The homemade dog food business is booming. It’s not surprising with all the pet food recalls for foreign objects, bacterial contamination, and other dangers that lurk in processed pet. Food. Grab a couple books for this list and get started on your own dog food journey.
READ NEXT: 15 GREAT HOMEMADE DOG FOOD RECIPE SITES