A good dog bed is one of the essential supplies most owners will purchase after adopting a dog. Due to the popularity of this item, there are thousands of different brands and styles of dog beds available – elevated, luxurious, cot-style, donut-style, burrows, travel beds and more. However, one of the favorites of most dogs and their owners is a simple mattress type pet bed, and after testing a number of options over the years, we've picked out four of the best dog mattress beds available.
#1 Best Selling Dog Mattress:
PetFusion Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
This well-made, sturdy and comfortable, hypoallergenic orthopedic dog mattress bed is made with 4 inches of high-quality memory foam and is available in multiple different sizes and colors to be well-suited for every dog and home.
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER...
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base &...
- EASY TO CLEAN: (i) Removable...
- IDEAL FOR MEDIUM / LARGE OR...
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Passes...
The PetFusion Orthopedic Memory Foam Bed is the #1 best-selling dog mattress sold on Amazon for a multitude of important reasons that are detailed below. This dog mattress had a much higher than average customer review rating (4.6 out of 5 stars), at the time in which this review was written, based on thousands of positive reviews written by satisfied customers. This best dog mattress can be purchased for anywhere from $60.00 to $240.00, depending on the size of the bed that you select (prices may vary depending on when and where this product is purchased, use the hyperlink in blue to be linked to the Amazon page for this dog mattress to get the most recent pricing information).
- Has a durable, non-skid bottom that is black in color that dirt won’t stain.
- Is manufactured in ways that pass the stricter European REACH safety standards.
- Includes a two-year warranty on any part that is broken due to a manufacturing defect.
- Comes with a water-resistant, tear-resistant, removable cover that has an interior waterproof liner.
- The removable cover is made using 65% polyester and 35% cotton, and is certified “skin contact safe,” and can be machine washed and dried.
- Is a great bed for dogs of any age and breed, and is especially helpful and comforting for older dogs who have started to suffer from sore joints and arthritis.
- Is a sofa-style dog bed that has padded bolsters in a separate zippered compartment that surrounds most edges of the bed, leaving a wide opening on the front side for dogs to easily walk onto and off of the bed.
- Includes a supportive 4-inch memory foam base, with medium firmness that helps to prevent joint pain and damage in dogs, and ensures that dogs who are already suffering from joint pain, arthritis, or any other painful joint and ligament condition are comfortable when laying on this bed.
- The rounded and padded bolsters are generously-filled with recycled and “green” polyfill material to make them safe and soft for dogs to rest on, and combined with the sturdy base, provide optimal support, comfort, and spots to burrow and nestle into to provide additional comfort and security for dogs of all shapes and sizes.
- Small = 25” L x 20” W x 5.5” H
- Large = 36” L x 28” W x 5.5” H
- X-Large = 44” L x 34” W x 5.5” H
- XXL Jumbo = 50” L x 40” W x 5.5” H
- Each bed can easily hold 100+ pounds.
- Sandstone with Plush Material
- Chocolate Brown
- Slate Gray
- Has a durable, non-skid bottom that is black in color that dirt won’t stain.
- Users report that this best dog mattress is easy to assemble and take apart to wash.
- Is manufactured in ways that pass the stricter European REACH safety standards.
- Many users report that their dogs very much enjoy resting their head on the bolsters.
- A couple of report that the fabric used for the cover of this bed seems to stay cool and keep their dogs cool and comfortable.
- Users report that the waterproof liner and water-resistant cover do in fact work, and protected the memory foam base from getting wet when their dog has soiled this bed.
- Many users report that this dog bed’s memory foam and side bolsters remain sturdy and firm and do not lose their shape or flatten out over time like many other dog beds do.
- Many users report that they, and their dogs really love this dog bed and that it is made out of very high-quality, durable, and sturdy materials that last and hold up to scratching, biting, and burrowing behaviors.
- Is sofa-style bed with a supportive 4-inch thick memory foam base and padded bolsters that surround 75% of the bed to provide comfort and support for all sizes of dogs, to all parts of their body, preventing joint pain and helping to ease pain in dogs who are already suffering from it.
- Comes with a removable water-resistant cover and a waterproof internal liner, that is rated to be “skin contact safe” and works to ensure that the memory foam base and bolsters remain dry and clean, and that the exterior cover can be easily removed and machine washed, as needed.
- A couple of users report that the liner that they received with their bed is not waterproof.
- A couple of users report that their dogs were able to chew apart this bed’s liner and get to the foam to rip that up, as well.
- A few users state that dog bed is very attracted to this bed’s material and is difficult to remove, but it can be done using a vacuum.
Most Affordable Dog Mattress that Fits in Dog Crates:
BarkBox Memory Foam Dog Bed
If you are looking for a high-quality, ergonomic and orthopedic memory foam dog bed that comes in a wide-variety of sizes, ensuring there is a bed that fits perfectly in your dog’s kennel or crate, that won’t cost you a small fortune to purchase despite the bed being durable, comfortable, and long-lasting, this is the best dog mattress for you.
- SIZE DESCRIPTION : 22" W x...
- WATERPROOF &...
- FITS YOUR HOME: Comes in...
- SCOUT’S HONOR: WE CARE...
- GREAT DOG BED FOR LARGE DOGS:...
The BarkBox Memory Foam Dog Bed was the #2 best-selling dog bed on Amazon at the time in which this review was written, and had a much higher than average customer review rating (of 4.6 out of 5 stars), based on more than a thousand positive customer reviews. Even better, this bed that perfectly fits dog kennels and crates, is a very affordable option that will cost you anywhere between $28.00 to $65.00, depending on the size of bed that you purchase (prices may vary depending on when and where this product is purchased, use the hyperlink in blue to be linked to the Amazon page for this best dog mattress to get the most recent pricing information).
- Made using 100% ergonomic memory foam combined with gel foam for optimal support, joint health and pain-relief.
- All materials used to make this bed are dog-safe and sleekly designed, using beautiful fabric and materials that look great in any home.
- Is 3-inch of 4-inch (on the X-Large bed) thick memory foam base with no raised edges or bolsters, allowing a dog to sleep in any position they’d like.
- Has a removable inner cover that is waterproof, and a top ultra-plush cover that goes over the inner cover that is water-resistant and machine washable.
- Small = 16” W x 24” L x 3” H, best for dogs that weigh 0 to 34 pounds.
- Medium = 22” W x 32” L x 3” H, best for dogs that weigh 35 to 75 pounds.
- Large = 26” W x 36” L x 3” H, best for dogs that weigh 76 to 100 pounds.
- X-Large = 42” W x 41” L x 4” H, best for dogs that weigh 101 to 150 pounds.
- Gray, with a black skid-resistant bottom.
- Expresso, with a black skid-resistant bottom.
- Blue top, with gray edges and black skid-resistant bottom.
- Sand top, with expresso edges and black skid-resistant bottom.
- Many users report that this bed is extremely well-made and durable.
- Is really affordably and fairly priced, especially for the quality of the bed.
- Memory foam is easy to step onto and off of, for dogs of any size and age.
- Thousands of satisfied customers report that they, and their dogs love this bed.
- Users report this bed does a great job at taking pressure off of their dog’s joints and pressure points.
- Great bed for dogs of all ages and sizes, from extra small to extra-large, and this bed fits perfectly in a dog’s kennel or crate.
- Quite a few users report that these beds are incredibly supportive and do not sink, even when large animals are laying on it.
- Comes with a bonus surprise squeaker sweet-pea toy and a wearable crown, and many customers report that their dogs love the squeaky toy.
- Many users state that the protective covers are very easy to remove due to the zipper being on two sides of the bed instead of only one, and report that the cover washes well and comes out of the laundry looking new.
- Several users report that the cover on this bed seems to deter digging and scratching behaviors, but also report that when dogs do dig or scratch at this bed, the covers and bed hold up against these destructive behaviors.
- Users report that the two removable covers are also 100% waterproof against accidents that happen on the bed, even when accidents sit on the bed’s covers for a while, they effectively prevent the memory foam mattress from getting wet.
- The waterproof and water-resistant machine washable covers are easy to remove, and provide two layers of effective protection to make sure the memory foam stays looking and smelling nice, which in turn keeps your dog clean and healthy.
- The bed is made using ergonomic memory foam combined with gel foam help to relieve body aches, joint pain, hip dysplasia and arthritis in aging and injured dogs, and give optimal therapeutic support to any dog, to help keep their joints in better health for longer.
- The shape and style of this bed that does not have any raised edges, and is a flat rectangle shaped slab of high-quality, 3-inch or 4-inch (on the X-Large bed) thick memory foam, allows dogs to sleep comfortably and be equally supported in any sleeping position.
- A couple of users report that their dogs don’t prefer to sleep on this bed for some reason.
- A few users report that their dogs were able to chew through the covers and get to the memory foam to tear it up, as well.
- A couple of users stated that water spills or other accidents leaked through the two covers, and soiled the memory foam, and do not believe the covers are waterproof.
Best Dog Mattress for Large Dogs:
Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
If you are looking for an extremely well-made and durable dog mattress bed that is made using super-thick, high-quality memory foam that is guaranteed to hold its shape and keep your large or extra-large canine companion happy, comfortable, and pain-free for many years to come, this bed is a great option for you!
- CALIBRATED FOR BIG DOGS:...
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: Foam will...
- WON'T FLATTEN: American made...
- MADE IN THE USA: Handmade by...
- EASY TO CLEAN: machine...
The Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Bed for Large and Extra-Large Dogs had a nearly perfect customer review rating (4.8 out of 5 stars) at the time in which this review was written, based on thousands of customer’s rave reviews of this best dog mattress. The high-quality design and materials that are used to make these beds are reflected in the price, as this bed will cost dog owners between $240.00 to $400.00, depending on which size you select (prices may vary depending on when and where this product is purchased, use the hyperlink in blue to be linked to the Amazon page for this dog bed to get the most recent pricing information).
- Has a raised, rounded head-rest at one end of the bed.
- Specially calibrated for comfortable use with large and extra-large dogs.
- Handmade in the U.S.A and comes with a 10-year, satisfaction or money-back warranty that guarantees the memory foam will keep at least 90% of its original height and shape.
- Made using a full 7 inches of American-made, high-quality therapeutic memory foam that is the same type of foam used in expensive furniture, making these beds so sturdy that even full-grown adult humans can lay on them comfortably.
- This bed helps your dog to stay cool because it is made with “open cell” foam that allows air to move freely through the bed, whereas most memory-foam is made using “closed cell” foam that traps hot air between your dog and the bed.
- Carefully engineered to provide perfectly distributed weight support to large dogs in order to make this bed extreme comfortable and durable, and ensure that even the biggest of dogs will not sink through the bed, causing them pain and discomfort.
- Manufacture use better ingredients and take better care of their memory foam than industry standards, ensuring that your dog’s bed will never have a nasty and toxic “chemical” smell that irritates the skin, nose, and eyes of both dogs and humans.
- Has a removable and machine washable, water-resistant cover made out of 100% microfiber that won’t shrink, is soft and comfy for your pet, looks great in your home and is easy to take off and put on the bed because the zipper surrounds a full 75% of the bed.
- The microfiber dog mattress cover is also durable enough to hold up against scratching, digging, and burrowing behaviors because the manufacturer only uses fabrics that score 100,000 or higher on the standard Wyzenbeek Abrasion test that measures a fabrics ability to withstand wear from rubbing.
- The memory foam that these beds are made out of is not only thick, strong, durable, comfortable, it also meets CertiPUR-US standards for content, emissions, and durability, and has additionally been analyzed by independent, accredited testing laboratories, whereas most memory foam dog beds are mass produced in overseas factories using low-quality, Chinese-made foam that flattens quickly and contains dangerous fillers.
- Great for dogs of all ages, but especially comforting for older dogs that are suffering from joint pain, and/or living with painful issues such as arthritis, hip dysplasia, or other joint, bone, or muscle disorders, this bed is also perfect for dogs that are recovering from surgery, and will help to keep young and healthy dogs feeling that way for longer because they have a bed that fully supports them, and doesn’t put painful pressure on their joints.
- Large = 48 L x 30 W x 7 H
- Extra-Large = 52 L x 36 W x 7 H
- Jumbo = 60 L x 48 W x 7 H
- All three sizes can support up to 300 pounds of weight, per bed.
- Charcoal Gray
- Available in multiple different sizes and colors to fit any dog and home.
- Made using “open-cell” memory foam that helps to keep your dog cool.
- Bed is a great height for large dogs to be able to walk on and off of with ease.
- Handmade in the U.S.A to meet and exceed the highest memory foam quality, safety, and durability tests.
- Has an easy to remove and durable microfiber cover that multiple users report fits the bed perfectly, and is very soft and durable.
- Comes with a 10-year warranty the guarantees the bed will maintain at least 90% of its original shape and height.
- Many users report that this bed is incredibly durable and resistant to damage from dog’s chewing, digging, or scratching it.
- Quite a few users report that using this bed greatly helped their older dogs that have joint and ligament issues to be more comfortable and have less pain.
- Many users report that their dogs really enjoy using the raised, rounded head-rest that is located on one end of this dog bed, and that it adds to their overall level of comfort.
- Thousands of customers report that they, and their dogs absolutely love this best dog mattress bed and that it is very well-made, using extremely high-quality materials and a great design.
- The high-quality and extra-thick memory foam that is used to make these beds ensures that they are durable, long-lasting and always comfortable for even an extra-large dog.
- Many users report that this dog bed has held-up and maintained its original shape and height with more than five years of use, whereas other memory beds ended up flat as a pancake after a very short time of normal use.
- It is quite expensive.
- A couple of users report that their dogs were able to chew through the removable cover.
- A few users report that their dogs simply do not want to sleep on this bed and they are not sure why, but for some reason, whether the bed is too stiff or tall for them or for some other reason, they will not sleep on it.
Best Dog Mattress for Small Dogs:
Luxury Donut Style Dog Bed with Attached Blanket
If you have a small or medium sized dog, who loves to be snuggled and burrowed safely and securely in a soft, warm, and extremely comfortable donut-style bed that is covers in super-soft fleece and features an attached blanket for extra comfort and security, for a great price that won’t break the bank, this bed is the bed for you!
- Supports better sleep:...
- Superior Comfort: Our warm cat...
- Versatile design: with an...
- Pet-safe materials: from...
- Love it or your money back:...
This bed had an above average customer review rating at the time in which this review was written (4.6 out of 5 stars), based on hundreds of positive reviews written by satisfied customers. This bed will only cost you $30.00 for the small size or $40.00 for the large size, making it a very affordable option (prices may vary depending on when and where this product is purchased, use the hyperlink in blue to be linked to the Amazon page for this best dog mattress to get the most recent pricing information).
- Entire bed is machine washable and dryer safe.
- Comes with a 100% satisfaction, money-back guarantee.
- Made using only the highest-quality and pet-friendly fabrics and materials.
- Flexible donut-shaped design allows dogs to comfortably curl up or stretch out.
- Super-soft faux fur Sherpa interior, designed to mimic a mother’s coat for the best sleep a dog can get.
- Has a water and dirt-resistant super-strong nylon bottom that matches the exterior color of the bed.
- A slightly sunken center surrounded by padded, raised walls provided ample support for dogs to rest their head and neck on.
- Exterior is made of upholstery-grade corduroy that comes in two styles, which are either the traditional corduroy look (called mason), or a snake skin type of look (called ilan).
- The beds are filled with premium-quality fibers that provided added support and keep their size, shape, and fluff for up to 3 times longer than most other fiber-filled pet beds.
- Comes with an attached, comfy fleece blanket sewn onto three sides of the bed with a large opening for dogs to get under it, and is perfect for covering and burrowing, but can also easily and comfortably be laid on top of, as well.
- Small = 23” x 23”, best for small dogs weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Medium = 26” x 26”, best for small or medium dogs weighing up to 35 pounds.
- Dark chocolate mason, with beige faux fur interior.
- Dark chocolate ilan, with beige faux fur interior.
- Oyster mason, with beige faux fur interior.
- Tide pool ilan, with beige faux fur interior.
- Wheat mason, with beige faux fur interior.
- Wheat ilan, with beige faux fur interior.
- Gray mason, with beige faux fur interior.
- Gray ilan, with beige faux fur interior.
- Many satisfied customers report that this is the best dog they have ever purchased.
- Many users report that this bed is very sturdy and durable, and holds up when chewed, scratched, and burrowed in.
- Users report that this bed does, in fact, retain its original shape and size even after being machine washed and dried, multiple times.
- Manufacturer uses only high-quality, dog-safe, durable, and attractive fabrics and materials that look great in any home and won’t fall apart over time.
- The bottoms of these beds that are water and dirt-resistant help to better protect your floors, carpets, and rugs from damage due to your dog accidently soiling their bed.
- Many users report that they, and their dogs love these beds very much, and state that the interior and exterior are both super-soft and well-made with beautiful-looking materials.
- Many users report that their dogs sleep incredibly well in this bed, and state that it keeps dogs warm even on the coldest of days and report that their dogs never want to leave this bed.
- Provides burrowing and hiding areas for nervous or anxious dogs, or any dog who likes to snuggle, and many users report that their dogs are big fans of snuggling and burrowing in this bed.
- The overstuffed walls and cushion are filled with more than an adequate amount of air loft fibers to ensure cloud-like comfort that is great for both young and aging dogs, and will help to relive stiff joints and tired legs, promoting better comfort and deeper sleep in your furry friend.
- The sunken center with raised edges design of this bed allows dogs to curl up and be extra snug in the middle or the bed, or sprawl out and rest their neck and head on the super comfortable edges of the bed, providing a wide-variety of comfortable sleeping positions for dogs of all ages and many different sizes and shapes.
- Users report that you need a large washing machine that doesn’t have an agitator in the middle of it in order to be able to machine wash this bed.
- A couple of users report that the center-bottom area of this bed is not padded very well, and feels as if their dog is laying on a small folded blanket instead of a padded bed.
- A few users report that this bed either fell apart due to their dog destroying it, or when they put it in the washing machine and state that it is not as durable of a bed as they had hoped.