Table of Contents
- Quick Glance at 5 Best Dog Furniture Covers and Protectors
- What's a Dog Furniture Cover and Furniture Protector?
- Top 5 Best Dog Furniture Covers and Protectors
- 1. H.VERSAILTEX Waterproof Furniture Slip Cover
- 2. OstepDecor Multi-Size Dog Couch Protector
- 3. Gorilla Grip Original Slip Resistant Sofa Protector
- 4. Pawsse Waterproof Dog Blanket
- 5. Sofa Shield Dog Sofa Slipcover
- When You Need Dog Furniture Covers and Protectors?
- How to Effectively Use a Pet Furniture Cover or Protector?
- How to Choose Good Dog Furniture Covers?
- 5 Best Couch Covers for Dogs: Conclusion
One of the main problems we as dog owners often face is protecting our furniture. What’s more, this is one of the chief reasons why many people are hesitant about getting a dog in the first place – they are afraid of property damage and don't know which pet furniture covers to get.
Fortunately, there are ways to protect your belongings like couches, chairs, and other furniture from dogs' (and cats') scratches, fur, or even liquids without having to train your pup not to climb on said furniture.
It's called dog furniture covers (and protectors), and there are many options to choose from.
Today I will be going over great pet furniture covers and the best couch covers for dogs.
I myself didn't even know there were pet furniture covers until I visited a friend's house and they have a blanket for their 30ish pound puppy.
When I first got my dog I had a nice leather couch, probably worth over a grand or so.
And as she got older she got heavier she would hop on the couch to sit with me.
It only took me about a week to realize that having a leather couch, with a dog, with sharp nails, and zero couch cover for dogs because she started marking up the couch.
Watching her nails dig into the leather brought a tear to my eye knowing my couch would never be the same.
I argued with myself, that no my dog should not hop on the couch and she should always stay on the ground.
But at the same time, I rarely sit on my couch and it's nice to have her cuddle up next to me (I was a single guy at the time so it was nice to have a buddy on the couch where we can just hang out), so I allowed it ultimately.
I bought a bunch of different brands to test ones that both me and my puppy Belle enjoyed. I wanted one that was comfortable to sit on, but one also it didn't trap in heat and cause me to be hot while sitting on the couch.
I don't want you to make the same mistake I did which was buying a couch cover for dogs after she scratched my leather couch.
After 6 hours of testing here is what I found…
Quick Glance at 5 Best Dog Furniture Covers and Protectors
|H.VERSAILTEX 100% Waterproof Sofa Slipcover...||5,403 Reviews||Check Price|
|Gorilla Grip Original Soft Sofa Protector, Medium,...||10,830 Reviews||Check Price|
|Kritter Planet Waterproof Pet Blanket, Pee Proof...||5,936 Reviews||Check Price|
|OstepDecor Couch Cover, Sofa Cover, Quilted...||3,218 Reviews||Check Price|
|Sofa Shield Patented Couch Cover, Large Furniture...||56,878 Reviews||Check Price|
What's a Dog Furniture Cover and Furniture Protector?
Pet furniture covers and protectors are different types of plastic, silicone, textile, and other material covers meant to cover pieces of furniture such as couches, sofas, chairs, and beds to prevent them from being damaged yet keep the aesthetic look.
These materials are usually comprised of at least 3 layers:
1. An upper layer of a soft quilt or another textile that’s comfortable to sit in for both dogs and humans alike.
2. A middle thick layer to offer insulation both from pet scratches and bites, as well as from liquids. Many dog furniture covers are waterproof, but not always.
3. A bottom layer, usually made out of silicone or other plastic, and the idea of which is to help the cover stick to the piece of furniture without moving.
This will help it stay in place even when rowdy dogs run on top of it and curious cats try to get underneath it.
Different pet furniture covers may also include adjustable straps to help them attach to the edges of furniture and stay in place.
They can also be made in different shapes, sizes, and designs and include side pieces to cover more specific couch or sofa designs.
More often than not, however, you’ll encounter general rectangular furniture covers that are meant to fit different types of furniture.
There's also another item called “dog furniture protector,” such as this Couch Defender, for example.
Their goal is to create an obstacle for the dog to stop it from sitting on the comfortable couch.
This does work in some cases, but plenty of dogs and other pets manage to sit next to the protector or remove it entirely.
Since when people talk about dog furniture protectors and covers, they usually mean covers that aim to protect the furniture from scratching and hairs, that’s the type we’ll focus on here.
These are also far more effective and better looking than the above-mentioned pet furniture protector.
Below, we have a buying guide on dog furniture covers and tips on picking the most suitable one for your pets and home furniture.
Top 5 Best Dog Furniture Covers and Protectors
With hundreds, if not thousands, of dog furniture covers and different types of pet furniture protectors on the market, it can be hard to narrow down your search to the few actually good ones.
I myself tested a huge number of these, and below picked the five best dog furniture covers and protects that are likely to fit most pet owners' needs.
1. H.VERSAILTEX Waterproof Furniture Slip Cover
The soft microfiber quilt of this H.VERSAILTEX furniture cover is completely waterproof. It’s wear and tear-resistant and will protect the couch from both hair and fluids.
Its 5-layer design prevents odors, and it's eco-friendly.
It is designed as “one size fits all” to fit many furniture pieces (and different materials, from leather to cloth) in seven different measurement options, and there's a 5-year warranty.
- 100% WATERPROOF: Crafted from...
- GREAT FIT: Loveseat size fit...
- MULTI-NON SLIP: These...
- 5-LAYERS MATERIAL: This...
- EASY CARE: Machine washable...
The material is non-slip, made of silicon rubber, supposedly to better keep it in place instead of using straps; however, that doesn't work as well as advertised.
It stays fairly well with dogs on top of it, but after a few uses, the slipcover does move down and does not stay in a place like it would if using tight straps.
Also, keep in mind that the waterproof material makes this one a little more stiff and rough.
- This furniture cover is designed to fit multiple couch sizes.
- It’s waterproof.
- It has a 5-layer design for extra protection
- Pet hair sticks to it a little too much.
- It's a little too stiff and doesn't stay in place too well.
2. OstepDecor Multi-Size Dog Couch Protector
This OstepDecor dog couch protector is made out of soft short floss on its upper side, has anti-slip silicon particles on the reverse side, and polyester fill in the middle.
That gives it a decent but not the best grip; it makes it comfortable to sit in and protects it from wear and tear, but it will need occasional readjustment to splay in place.
The different pieces are sold separately, giving you the freedom to buy only what you need and create one matching set.
There are multiple sizes and dimensions to choose from as well. It’s machine washable on cold.
- SOLD BY PIECE NOT SET:...
- MULTIPLE FUNCTION &...
- EASY INSTALLATION & CARE:...
- STAY IN PLACE: Heavy and thick...
- 100% SATISFACTION: Every...
One of the benefits of this dog furniture cover is that the company has many different designs to choose from.
All are made of very soft short floss material used for the front side, polyester fill on the inside, and anti-slip silicon particles on the backside. S
O far, it worked very well on our couch, and the only problem was keeping it in place after some use; it always needed readjustment.
- With its various sizes and separate pieces, the OstepDecor couch protector allows you to customize it to your needs.
- All its parts are machine washable and easy to take care of.
- The combination of soft short floss, anti-slip silicone bottom, and polyester filling make it long-lasting and comfortable.
- This furniture cover doesn’t grip as well as others.
3. Gorilla Grip Original Slip Resistant Sofa Protector
The Gorilla Grip sofa protector has a micro-suede soft top for extra comfort, as well as 2” thick straps to help keep it in place.
These straps hold the cover better than using non-slip rubber-like in the above number one example.
Its thick padding makes it soft and comfy to sit on and tear-resistant, and sturdy (which can be a disadvantage for some people). It comes in various sizes and has a 10-year warranty.
- Slip Resistant Furniture...
- Super Soft Suede: you’ll...
- Perfect Fit for All Furniture:...
- More Protection: thick...
- Easy to Clean: machine...
Despite what the manufacturer claims, this furniture protector is not suitable for all types of sofas.
If you have a couch made of textile rough cloth material which can rub against the cover, this may damage the cover after long use and leave residue from the cover on your couch.
Overall, the straps are very good at keeping this protector in place, which means it won't be a good fit for some couch designs.
- The thick straps make this sofa protector very easy to hold in place.
- The micro-suede top and the thick padding make it a comfortable cover to sit on.
- The rubber bottom part of the cover makes it trickier to wash.
- It would help if you didn’t use it on furniture that’s been treated with additives, cleaners, or conditioners.
4. Pawsse Waterproof Dog Blanket
This is the most aesthetically good-looking cover on this list, which comes at the cost of functionality.
The Paws dog blanket is rectangular with dimensions of 80×60 inches. That’s both a negative and a positive as while it won’t fit most sofas or couches perfectly, the ones that it does fit. It'll be a great pairing – beds, car seats, and more.
This versatile blanket is waterproof, and it’s made out of durable yet soft, comfy fabric.
- water pee proof resist...
- Kritter Planet waterproof dog...
- Kritter Planet Waterproof...
- Kritter Planet waterproof...
- In addition to being...
The best part of this furniture cover is that it can be disguised as a regular blanket. It works best as a spread on beds and mattresses, and it stays in place fairly well.
Unfortunately, they don't have too many sizes, and their largest is still not big enough for large beds or couches.
Another disadvantage is when it comes to washing it – while the manufacturer claims that it's safe to machine wash the cover, it's clear from the materials that you'll have to hand-wash this one if you don't want to ruin it.
- The Paws blanket is waterproof and scratch-resistant.
- Most aesthetically good-looking cover.
- This is a versatile blanket that you can use anywhere as its shape doesn’t restrict it.
- Not really machine-washable.
- While it makes it versatile, the generally rectangular shape will rarely fit “perfectly” on most pieces of furniture.
5. Sofa Shield Dog Sofa Slipcover
The final option on the list is this Sofa Shield dog furniture slipcover which comes in many shapes and sizes.
This isn't the highest quality option, but this one is the most affordable protector if you need something simple.
While it isn’t suitable for leather, it will do a great job of protecting your furniture from scratches and liquids.
It has 2” straps that help keep it in place, and it is 100% machine washable. It also has a lifetime warranty that accents its quality.
- Protects From Stains and...
- Stay in Place Patented Strap...
- Stylish Reversible Design:...
- More Generous Sizing for a...
- Easy to Install and Clean...
While this one may come off sometimes as cheaper looking, you can fix this by picking the best design for the bed or couch that you have, creating a perfect match in colors and designs.
In that case, the slipcover blends in and actually works very well in terms of its aesthetics. Its biggest flaws are the straps/loops that help the protector stay in place, which seem a bit flimsy, and they will definitely break after regular use.
It also doesn't work well with leather furniture.
- Adjustable straps to keep the cover in place.
- This Sofa Shield item is both scratch-resistant and waterproof.
- This cover comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Not recommended for leather furniture.
When You Need Dog Furniture Covers and Protectors?
Dog furniture covers and protectors fulfill multiple purposes, some of which are obvious and others that you may not have considered and extend beyond pets.
If you’re wondering whether or not you should buy a dog furniture protector or cover, here’s a quick list of the benefits it can bring to your home’s couch, sofa, bed, or other types of furniture to help you decide whether it's something you need:
• Protection against scratching and chewing
Both dogs and cats and other pets, if you have any, sometimes love to scratch their claws or chew on different items.
This is done either to sharpen their nails, satisfy an itch, entertain themselves, or relieve anxiety.
It’s usually best to train that behavior away, but in the meantime – or in addition to that – you can also protect some of your extra-precious pieces of furniture with a good pet furniture cover.
• Protection against wear and tear
Even if your dog or other pet isn’t purposefully scratching or chewing the couch, the chances are that there will still be some (unintentional) noticeable, gradual damage.
Cats, in particular, and smaller dogs with thinner and pointier claws can easily drill hundreds of small holes in a piece of furniture over time just by walking on it.
If your pet has a favorite spot on your couch, you'll notice it wearing off after just several months.
• Protection against fur.
Most dogs and other pets leave a ton of fur behind them.
There are ways to minimize this, usually through grooming and brushing or the use of pet hair removers, but unless your pet is 100% hairless, there will always be some amount of pet hair.
A dog furniture cover can protect your couch from that, as well as be easier to clean and wash than the couch itself.
• Protection against fluids.
Most housebroken dogs won’t pee on your couch accidentally, but with all animals, there is always some risk of unexpected “fluid discharge.”
If your dog is very old or sick, they may vomit or pee unexpectedly; and some dog breeds can’t help themselves and always have lots of extra saliva dripping from their mouths, all of which end up on your couch or chairs.
Dogs aren’t the only ones that can damage our furniture. We ourselves are perfectly capable of spilling things on it as well.
And while this isn’t the primary purpose of a dog furniture protector, it’s certainly a nice bonus – to know you can safely bring drinks over to the couch.
• Covering up existing damage.
The reality for most dog owners is that a lot of our furniture is already damaged.
And since some pieces of furniture are expensive to replace, a nice, big dog furniture cover can not only protect the couch, bed, or sofa from additional damage, but it can also cover the already existing one.
• Saving you the trouble of having to train your dog not to climb on the couch.
Many dog owners spend many hours and tons of effort to train their dogs on which pieces of furniture they can climb and cannot.
Not only is this very tiresome and annoying for the dog owner, but it can also be very confusing and even borderline mental torture for the dogs because they are incapable of understanding the reasoning behind such commands.
What’s more, such training is often in vain as most ill-trained dogs will happily disobey orders once we go to work and leave them alone.
A nice couch or bed dog cover makes all this unnecessary.
How to Effectively Use a Pet Furniture Cover or Protector?
The process is generally self-explanatory. Dog furniture covers are fairly simple items to understand how to use, but there are still some key points to keep in mind:
- The furniture cover needs to fit well. Leaving an exposed corner of the couch can defeat the purpose of the pet cover if the dog decides that this is its favorite spot now.
- A furniture cover must stick well to the piece of furniture and not move. If you find a furniture cover that does a good job otherwise and has the properties you need, but it sticks poorly, use what’s at your disposal to keep it in place.
- Be careful when machine washing a furniture cover. Most of these covers are too large to wash by hand comfortably but are also tricky to machine wash.
- Even though most of them are marketed as “machine washable,” they also have certain specifications in terms of temperature, rotation speed, drying, etc.
How to Choose Good Dog Furniture Covers?
The first thing you’ll need to consider when choosing a good dog furniture cover is the exact size and dimensions. If you need the cover for one specific piece of furniture, measure it well and look for a cover with the same dimensions.
If instead, you want a versatile pet furniture cover that you can rotate between a bed and a couch, for example, then a large rectangular cover of an appropriate size should be your best bet.
Once you’ve found several covers of an appropriate size, shape, and design, the rest is mostly about the quality of the cover.
A truly high-quality dog furniture cover should be thick and sturdy enough to withstand scratching, chewing, and general wear-down damage, but it should also be comfortable to sit on. I
If waterproof qualities are something you want, then look for a cover with them, but keep in mind that these are usually harder to machine wash.
Lastly, consider some personal specifics. For example, if you want a cover for a leather piece of furniture, then be careful as the silicone bottom layer of some covers isn’t suitable for leather furniture.
For me personally, a slipcover must be machine-washable, and some of them aren't.
5 Best Couch Covers for Dogs: Conclusion
A good coach or sofa cover can extend the life of your furniture for years or even decades.
And what’s better, it would do so without forcing you to restrict your pooch from climbing on the furniture, without having to train him to stay on the ground, and so on.
The only problem with picking the best dog furniture covers is finding a perfect match between the slipcovers and your existing bed, couch, chairs, or other pieces of furniture.
Some may look better but won't stay in place, while others are very functional yet quite expensive. The above recommendations are top-rated pet furniture protectors currently available.
I would recommend you read through customer reviews for each to see if anyone has used them for similar pieces of furniture as yours.