One of the main problems we as dog owners often face is protecting our furniture. What’s more, this is one of the chief reasons why a lot of people are hesitant about getting a dog in the first place – they are afraid of property damage.
Fortunately, there are ways to protect your belongings like couches, chairs and other furniture from dogs' (and cats') scratches, fur or even liquids without having to train your pup not to climb on said furniture. It's called dog furniture covers (and protectors), and there are many options to choose from.
What's a Dog Furniture Cover and Furniture Protector?
Pet furniture covers and protectors are different types of plastic, silicone, textile, and other material covers that are meant to cover pieces of furniture such as couches, sofas, chairs, and beds to prevent them from being damaged yet keep the aesthetic look.
These materials are usually comprised of at least 3 layers:
1. An upper layer of a soft quilt or another textile that’s comfortable to sit in for both dogs and humans alike.
2. A middle thick layer with a purpose to offer insulation both from pet scratches and bites, as well as from liquids. Many dog furniture covers are waterproof but not always.
3. A bottom layer, usually made out of silicone or other plastic, and the idea of which is to help the cover stick to the piece of furniture without moving. This will help it stay in place even when rowdy dogs are running on top of it and curious cats are trying to get underneath it.
Different pet furniture covers may also include adjustable straps to help them attach to the edges of furniture and stay in place. They can also be made in different shapes, sizes and designs, as well as include side pieces to cover more specific couch or sofa designs. More often than not, however, you’ll encounter general rectangular furniture covers that are meant to fit on different types of furniture.
There's also another item called “dog furniture protector”, such as this Couch Guard, for example. Their goal is to simply create an obstacle for the dog to stop it from sitting in the comfortable couch. This does work in some cases, but there are plenty of dogs and other pets that manage to sit next to the protector or to remove it entirely.
Since when people talk about dog furniture protectors and covers they usually mean covers that aim to protect the furniture from scratching and hairs, that’s the type we’ll focus on here. These are also far more effective and better looking that the above mentioned pet furniture protector.
Below, we have a buying guide on dog furniture covers and tips on how to pick the most suitable one for your pets and home furniture. We're also review these five best options:
No products found.
When You Need Dog Furniture Covers and Protectors?
Dog furniture covers and protectors fulfill multiple purposes, some of which are obvious and others that you may have not considered and that extend beyond pets. If you’re wondering whether or not you should buy a dog furniture protector or cover, here’s a quick list of the benefits it can bring to your home’s couch, sofa, bed, or other types of furniture to help you decide whether it's something you need:
• Protection against scratching and chewing. Both dogs and cats, as well as other pets if you have any, love to sometimes scratch their claws or chew on different items. This is done either to sharpen their nails, to satisfy an itch, to entertain themselves or to relieve anxiety. It’s usually best to train that behavior away, but in the meantime – or in addition to that – you can also protect some of your extra-precious pieces of furniture with a good pet furniture cover.
• Protection against wear and tear. Even if your dog or other pet isn’t purposefully scratching or chewing the couch, chances are that there will still be some (unintentional) noticeable, gradual damage. Cats, in particular, but also smaller dogs with thinner and pointier claws, can easily drill hundreds of small holes in a piece of furniture over time just by walking on it. If your pet has a favorite spot on your couch, you'll notice it wearing off after just several months.
• Protection against fur. Most dogs and other pets leave a ton of fur behind them. There are ways to minimize this, usually through grooming and brushing, or the use of pet hair removers, but unless your pet is 100% hairless, there will always be some amount of pet hair. A dog furniture cover can protect your couch from that, as well as be easier to clean and wash than the couch itself.
• Protection against fluids. Most housebroken dogs won’t pee on your couch accidentally, but with all animals, there is always some risk of unexpected “fluid discharge.” If your dog is very old or sick, they may vomit or pee unexpectedly; and some dog breeds simply can’t help themselves and always have lots of extra saliva dripping from their mouths, all of which ends up on your couch or chairs.
• Protection against non–pet related damage. Dogs aren’t the only ones that can damage our furniture. We ourselves are perfectly capable of spilling things on it as well. And while this isn’t the primary purpose of a dog furniture protector, it’s certainly a nice bonus – to know you can safely bring drinks over to the couch.
• Covering up existing damage. The reality for most dog owners is that a lot of our furniture is already damaged. And since some pieces of furniture are expensive to replace, a nice, big dog furniture cover can not only protect the couch, bed or sofa from additional damage but it can also cover the already existing one.
• Saving you the trouble of having to train your dog to not climb on the couch. A lot of dog owners spend many hours and tons of effort to train their dogs which pieces of furniture they can climb and which they cannot. Not only is this very tiresome and annoying for the dog owner, it can also be very confusing and even borderline mental torture for the dogs because they are incapable of understanding the reasoning behind such commands. What’s more, such training is often in vain as most ill-trained dogs will happily disobey orders once we go to work and leave them alone. A nice couch or bed dog cover makes all this unnecessary.
How to Effectively Use a Pet Furniture Cover or Protector?
The process is generally self-explanatory. Dog furniture covers are fairly simple items to understand how to use, but there are still some key points to keep in mind:
- It’s important for the furniture cover to fit well. Leaving an exposed corner of the couch can defeat the purpose of the pet cover if the dog decides that this is its favorite spot now.
- A furniture cover must stick well to the piece of furniture and not move. If you find a furniture cover that does a good job otherwise and has the properties you need but it sticks poorly, use what’s at your disposal to keep it in place.
- Be careful when machine washing a furniture cover. Most of these covers are too large to comfortably wash by hand but are also tricky to machine wash. Even though most of them are marketed as “machine washable”, they also have certain specifications in terms of temperature, rotation speed, drying, etc.
How to Choose Good Dog Furniture Covers?
The first thing you’ll need to consider when choosing a good dog furniture cover is the exact size and dimensions. If you need the cover for one specific piece of furniture then measure it well and look for a cover that has the exact same dimensions. If, instead, you want a versatile pet furniture cover that you can rotate between a bed and a couch, for example, then a large rectangular cover of an appropriate size should be your best bet.
Once you’ve found several covers of an appropriate size, shape and design, the rest is mostly about the quality of the cover. A truly high quality dog furniture cover should be thick and sturdy enough to withstand scratching, chewing and general wear down damage but it should also be comfortable to sit on. If waterproof qualities are something you want, then look for a cover that has them, but keep in mind that these are usually harder to machine wash.
Lastly, consider some personal specifics. For example, if you want a cover for a leather piece of furniture, then be careful as the silicone bottom layer of some covers isn’t suitable for leather furniture. For me personally, it's very important that a slipcover is machine-washable, and some of them aren't.
Top 5 Best Dog Furniture Covers and Protectors
With hundreds, if not thousands, of dog furniture covers and different types of pet furniture protectors on the market, it can be hard to narrow down your search to the few actually good ones. Our editorial team of dog owners have tested a huge number of these, and below we've picked the five best dog furniture covers and protects that are likely to fit most pet owners' needs.
1. H.VERSAILTEX Waterproof Furniture Slip Cover
The soft microfiber quilt of this H.VERSAILTEX furniture cover is completely waterproof. It’s wear and tear resistant and will protect the couch from both hair and fluids. Its 5-layer design prevents odors and it's eco-friendly. It is designed as “one size fits all” to fit a large number of furniture pieces (and different materials, from leather to cloth) in seven different measurement options, and there's a 5-year warranty.
No products found.
The material is non-slip, made of silicon rubber, supposedly to better keep it in place as opposed to using straps; however, that doesn't work as well as advertised. It stays fairly well with dogs on top of it, but after a few uses, the slip cover does move down, and does not stay in place like it would if using tight straps. Also, keep in mind that the waterproof material makes this one a little more stiff and rough.
- This furniture cover is designed to fit multiple couch sizes.
- It’s waterproof.
- It has a 5-layer design for extra protection
- Pet hair sticks to it a little too much.
- It's a little too stiff and doesn't stay in place too well.
2. OstepDecor Multi-Size Dog Couch Protector
This OstepDecor dog couch protector is made out of soft short floss on its upper side, has anti-slip silicon particles on the reverse side, and polyester fill in the middle. That gives it a decent but not the best grip; it makes it comfortable to sit in, and protects it from wear and tear, but it will need occasional readjustment to splay in place. The different pieces of this set are sold separately which gives you the freedom to buy only what you need and create one matching set if you wish. There are multiple sizes and dimensions to choose from as well. It’s machine washable on cold.
No products found.
One of the benefits of this dog furniture cover is that the company has many different designs to choose from. All are made of very soft short floss material used for the front side, polyester fill on the inside, and anti-slip silicon particles on the back side. So far, it worked very well on our couch and the only problem was keeping it in place after some uses; it always needed readjustment.
- With its various sizes and separate pieces, the OstepDecor couch protector allows you to customize it to your needs.
- All its parts are machine washable and easy to take care of.
- The combination of soft short floss, anti-slip silicone bottom, and polyester filling make it both long-lasting and comfortable.
- This furniture cover doesn’t grip as well as others.
3. Gorilla Grip Original Slip Resistant Sofa Protector
The Gorilla Grip sofa protector has a micro-suede soft top for extra comfort, as well as 2” thick straps to help keep it in place. These straps hold the cover better than using non-slip rubber like in the above number one example. Its thick padding makes it soft and comfy to sit on, as well as tear resistant and sturdy (which can be a disadvantage for some people). It comes in various different sizes and has a 10-year warranty.
No products found.
Despite what the manufacturer claims, this furniture protector is not suitable for all types of sofas. If you have a couch made of textiled rough cloth material which can rub against the cover, it's possible this will damage the cover after long use and leave residue from the cover on your couch. Overall, the straps are very good at keeping this protector in place but that also means it won't be a good fit for some couch designs.
- The thick straps make this sofa protector very easy to hold in place.
- The micro-suede top and the thick padding make it a comfortable cover to sit on.
- The rubber bottom part of the cover makes it trickier to wash.
- It shouldn’t be used on furniture that’s been treated with additives, cleaners, or conditioners.
4. Pawsse Waterproof Dog Blanket
This is the most aesthetically good looking cover on this list, which comes at the cost of functionality. The Pawsse dog blanket is rectangular with dimensions of 80×60 inches. That’s both a negative and a positive as while it won’t fit most sofas or couches perfectly, the ones that it does fit, it'll be a great pairing – beds, car seats, and more. This versatile blanket is waterproof, and it’s made out of durable yet soft, comfy fabric.
No products found.
The best part of this furniture cover is that it can be disguised as a regular blanket. It works best as a spread on beds and mattresses, and it's stays in place fairly well. Unfortunately, they don't have too many sizes and their largest is still not big enough for large beds or couches. Another disadvantage is when it comes to washing it – while the manufacturer claims that it's safe to machine wash the cover, it's clear from the materials that if you don't want to ruin it, you'll have to hand-wash this one.
- The Pawsse blanket is waterproof and scratch-resistant.
- Most aesthetically good looking cover.
- This is a versatile blanket that can be used anywhere as it isn’t restricted by its shape.
- Not really machine-washable.
- While it makes it versatile, the general rectangular shape will rarely fit “perfectly” on most pieces of furniture.
5. Sofa Shield Dog Sofa Slipcover
The final option on the list is this Sofa Shield dog furniture slipcover which comes in a lot of shapes and sizes. This isn't the highest quality option but if you need something simple this one is the most affordable protector. While it isn’t suitable for leather it will do a great job at protecting your furniture from scratches and liquids. It has 2” straps that help keep it in place and it is 100% machine washable. It also has a lifetime warranty that accents its quality.
No products found.
While this one may come off sometimes as cheaper looking, this can be fixed by picking the best design for the bed or couch that you have, creating a perfect match in colors and designs. In that case, the slip cover blends in and actually works very well in terms of its aesthetics. Its biggest flaw are the straps/loops that help the protector stay in place, which seem a bit flimsy and they will definitely brake after regular use. It also doesn't work well with leather furniture.
- Adjustable straps to keep the cover in place.
- This Sofa Shield item is both scratch-resistant and waterproof.
- This cover comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Not recommended for leather furniture.
As you can see, pet furniture protectors are far from just “luxury” items. A good couch or sofa cover can extend the life of your furniture for years or even decades. And what’s better, it would do so without forcing you to restrict your pooch from climbing on the furniture, without having to train him to stay on the ground, and so on.
The only problem with picking the best dog furniture covers is finding a perfect match between the slip covers and your existing bed, couch, chairs or other pieces of furniture. Some may look better but won't stay in place, while others are very functional yet quite expensive. The above recommendations are top rated pet furniture protectors currently available, and I would recommend you read through customer reviews for each to see if anyone has used them for similar pieces of furniture as yours.