Table of Contents
- 20 Best Dog Books
on Canine Health and Care
- 5 Basic Knowledge Health and Care Books
- 1. For Dog's Sake!: A Simple Guide to Protecting Your Pup from Unsafe Foods, Everyday Dangers, and Bad Situations by Amy Luwis
- 2. Dog Health and Nutrition For Dummies by M. Christine Zink
- 3. Safe Dog Handbook: A Complete Guide to Protecting Your Pooch, Indoors, and Out by Melanie Monteiro
- 4. Dog First Aid [With DVD] (Red Cross Ready Safety) by the American Red Cross
- 5. The First-Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats (Prevention Pets) by Amy D. Shojai
- 5 Home Remedy and Non-Traditional Health Care Books
- 1. New Choices in Natural Healing for Dogs & Cats: Herbs, Acupressure, Massage, Homeopathy, Flower Essences, Natural Diets, Healing Energy by Amy Shojai
- 2. Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats Paperback by Richard H. Pitcairn
- 3. Veterinary Secrets: Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Andrew T. Jones, DVM
- 4. Natural Health Bible for Dogs & Cats: Your A-Z Guide to Over 200 Conditions, Herbs, Vitamins, and Supplements (The Natural Vet) by Shawn Messonnier, DVM
- 5. The Holistic Dog: Inside the Canine Mind, Body, Spirit, Space by Laura Benko and Susan Fisher Plotner
- 5 Complete Dog Health Care Books
- 1. Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook by Debra M. Eldredge DVM
- 2. DOG FACTS: The Pet Parents A-To-Z Home Care Encyclopedia: Puppy to Adult, Diseases & Prevention, Dog Training, Veterinary Dog Care, First Aid, Holistic Medicine by Amy Shojai
- 3. The Ultimate Pet Health Guide: Breakthrough Nutrition and Integrative Care for Dogs and Cats by Gary Richter M.S. D.V.M.
- 4. The Complete Healthy Dog Handbook: The Definitive Guide to Keeping Your Pet Happy, Healthy & Active Through Every Stage of Life by Betsy Brevitz, DVM
- 5. The Merck/Merial Manual for Pet Health – Home Edition by Merck Publishing and Merial and Cynthia M Kahn
- 5 Specialty Dog Health Care Books
- 1. Puppy Sleep Training – The Exhausted Puppy Owner's Nighttime Survival Guide by Rebecca Setler
- 2. The Dog Cancer Survival Guide: Full Spectrum Treatments to Optimize Your Dog's Life Quality and Longevity Kindle Edition by Demian Dressler and Susan Ettinger
- 3. Canine Nutrigenomics – The New Science Of Feeding Your Dog For Optimum Health by W. Jean Dodds and Diana R. Laverdue
- 4. Healing Touch for Dogs: The Proven Massage Program by Michael W. Fox
- 5. Good Old Dog: Expert Advice for Keeping Your Aging Dog Happy, Healthy, and Comfortable by the Faculty of the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University and Nicholas H. Dodman
- 5 Basic Knowledge Health and Care Books
Whether you are a veteran dog owner or a newcomer to canine parenthood, a good book can always teach you something about caring for your pet. Today, we’re sharing 20 of the best dog books on health and care out there. Educating yourself by reading some of these books could make you a better canine companion and caretaker.
These books offer everything from information on basic pet care to home remedies that you may use when your pup is under the weather. Whether you're an experienced dog owner or this is the first time you've ever been responsible for a pet, you can learn a lot by picking up these easy reads.
Owning a dog can be overwhelming. Even if you're a self-proclaimed doggy expert, there is always more to learn. Keep this list handy for a time when you need good dog books to take to the beach or on a long airplane flight.
20 Best Dog Books
on Canine Health and Care
5 Basic Knowledge Health and Care Books
A simple, basic book designed to educate dog owners on the basis of safe dog parenting, this book is not without its humor. With plenty of adorable pictures, diagrams, and infographics, this handbook includes tips on diet and health to emergency first aid.
Easy to understand, this book is perfect for first-time dog owners. It will also be beneficial for experienced dog owners who could use a refresher course in pet care.
2. Dog Health and Nutrition For Dummies by M. Christine Zink
Dog health and nutrition don’t have to be hard to understand. Written by a veterinarian with the average pet owner in mind, this book covers it all. Whether you are looking for basic canine care information or a diagram of your dog’s anatomy, you'll find it in this one of the dog books that has it all.
It also features a list of common household hazards and more detailed tips on senior dog care.
Dedicated to helping you keep your dog safe, this book is full of tips and tricks to avoid those preventable accidents. Whether you’re nervous about backyard critters or interested in puppy-proofing your home, this essential guide has everything you need to know.
4. Dog First Aid [With DVD] (Red Cross Ready Safety) by the American Red Cross
Every dog parent should be educated on first aid and safety for their dog. Whether you need to know how to stem bleeding from a cut, treat shock, or give your dog CPR, everything you need for emergency pet care is included in this book. Plus, this comprehensive guide also comes with a DVD, just in case you are a more visual learner.
5. The First-Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats (Prevention Pets) by Amy D. Shojai
Plus, an A-to-Z guide provides over 150 injuries and situations that pet owners frequently have to face with their pets. This is one of the must-have dog books for every owner!
5 Home Remedy and Non-Traditional Health Care Books
From the same author as one of the most comprehensive healthcare guides for dogs, this is an equally thorough book. Focused on natural healing, home remedies, and other non-traditional approaches to vet care, this is a beneficial book for any pet owner. Chapters not only cover physical illness, but they also touch on behavioral and emotional concerns.
2. Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats Paperback by Richard H. Pitcairn
Originally published over 20 years ago, this natural health guide was recently revised and covers lifelong care. With everything you need to know about environmental issues and how to handle emergencies and general illness, Pitcairn’s book includes homeopathic, herbal, and nutritional remedies.
Frequently referenced as the Bible for pet parents interested in a natural lifestyle, if you only get one natural care book, this should be the one.
3. Veterinary Secrets: Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Andrew T. Jones, DVM
From a bestselling author and former practicing vet, this step-by-step guide covers the best approaches to natural healthcare. In an unusual book, Jones tackles many tricky questions, including why he began to question veterinary medicine and began pursuing natural healthcare instead.
Focused on providing holistic care at home, this book covers all of the big topics, from choosing healthy pet food to which vaccinations should be avoided and when. It's one of the best dog books for pet owners looking for natural health alternatives for their dogs.
An A to Z guide, this thick natural health Bible covers over 200 health conditions, vitamins, minerals, herbs, and supplements. Written by a well-respected veterinarian, this easily referenced book not only covers health concerns but also the natural treatments for them.
This is one of the best dog books, as it covers everything from ear infections and allergies to kidney disease and heart disease. No matter what your dog is facing, this thick book has plenty of natural treatment options.
Unlike other similar books, this one takes a look at healthy living from the dog’s point of view, incorporating full awareness of the mind, body, and spirit. Plenty of bright photographs and step-by-step instructions in this book make holistic care for your dog easy without being confusing.
5 Complete Dog Health Care Books
1. Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook by Debra M. Eldredge DVM
A book that’s been relied on for more than twenty-five years, this veterinary handbook is regularly updated and fully comprehensive. With illustrations and diagrams to make spotting symptoms easy, this medical handbook is a must-have for all pet parents.
The Dog Owner’s Home Veterinary Handbook covers everything from coughs and sniffles to heatstroke and shock. If you often find yourself wondering if it’s time to visit the vet, then this is the book for you!
If you are looking for a combination of holistic, natural, at-home, and out-of-home care for your dog, then this is the book for you. Shojai combines valuable information from multiple disciplines for one of the most informative books on the shelf today. Navigate serious diseases, treat dogs of any age, and get help deciding if or when you should pay a visit to the vet rather than treat them at home!
This is another well-written book from a veterinarian who believes that integrative care is a must-have for all dog parents. Unlike many veterinarians who promote only what they know of modern medicine, Richter touches on every angle of treatment in this guide.
Ideal for dog parents who believe in Western and Eastern medicine, this newly published book covers everything from allergies to cancer. This is one of the best dog books for pet owners who hope to help their pets through proper nutritional and non-traditional medicinal practices.
No matter what health hiccups your dog may run into during their life, you are sure to find them listed in this ultimate healthy dog handbook. Often referred to as the “Dr. Spock for Dogs,” this book covers emotional and physical health from puppyhood to the senior years.
A great reference guide for new dog owners as well as experienced pet parents, this is a book that every dog owner should keep on hand. Covering everything from what pet foods to consider to the treatment of cancer, this really is a definitive guide.
From one of the most referenced professional guides in veterinary medicine, the Merck manual for pet health covers every aspect of your dog’s health in a language that you can understand. Ideal for pet parents with pets of various species, this full volume covers multiple species of pets.
With tips from more than two hundred veterinary professionals, this Merck manual is the layman’s version of the same reference book your veterinarian keeps on their own shelves. It's one of the best all-encompassing dog books dealing with pet health.
5 Specialty Dog Health Care Books
1. Puppy Sleep Training – The Exhausted Puppy Owner's Nighttime Survival Guide by Rebecca Setler
Few parts of puppy parenthood are as frustrating as trying to sleep-train your dog. One of the best dog books on the subject by Rebecca Setler covers everything you need to know to get that tiny bundle to sleep straight through the night. Not just for new puppies, the tips in this comprehensive guide work for adult dogs having trouble settling in as well.
Whether you’re looking for answers to questions about sleep scheduling or nighttime potty visits, this should be your go-to.
When your dog is diagnosed with cancer, the world can suddenly become very overwhelming. This full survival guide for parents of dogs with cancer includes tips for making it through every step of your dog’s cancer care.
Written by Hawaii’s “cancer vet,” there is no more frequently referenced cancer treatment compendium. Whether your pup is newly diagnosed with a stage 1 tumor or whether they are receiving treatment for metastasis, everything you need to know about making it through is in this book.
If you are interested in learning how you can feed your dog for lifelong health, then this is the book for you. Highly rated by dog owners everywhere, the chapters in this book cover how to promote your dog’s health from the cellular level.
Touching on diseases like cancer, arthritis, and obesity, this is a well-rounded and complete reference. Whether you are looking to improve your sick dog’s health or extend your dog’s already healthy life, this should be your starting point.
4. Healing Touch for Dogs: The Proven Massage Program by Michael W. Fox
The benefits of massage aren’t limited to humans, and this is one of the best dog books to teach yourself about the practice. Research has proven that massage can play a significant role in your dog’s physical and psychological well-being.
Dr. Fox’s comprehensive guide includes a basic introduction to canine anatomy and detailed steps on providing your dog with safe and effective massage sessions. Not limited to a how-to book, Fox also covers topics such as why your dog needs a massage, diagnosing illness through massage, and keeping your dog fit and healthy overall.
From vets who treat more than 8,000 senior dogs annually, there is no better resource for preventative care tips, health management solutions, and keeping your seniors comfortable in their golden years. It's one of the best dog books written by experts in the field of canine health.
Want to share this?