Finding a truly good and reliable dog collar for a pooch is sometimes challenge for a lot of pet owners. The collar needs to be comfortable but firm, soft but long-lasting, secure but easy to lock and unlock. Add to that all the cosmetic factors that go into a dog collar and the price, and shopping sessions can become frustrating. Hemp dog collars can easily satisfy a lot of these conditions simply thanks to hemp being the great natural material that it is.
What makes a good hemp dog collar?
Good hemp dog collars are characterized by several factors:
- They are sturdy and strong, which allows them to hold even strong pullers.
- Hemp is a natural product so such collars are very eco-friendly.
- They are long-lasting and save you the trouble of constantly buying new collars.
- Hemp dog collars are typically standard neck collars in their design and include the basic components you can expect from a dog collar – a quick release buckle, metal D rings for the leash and the name tag or ID badge, adjustable size mechanism, cotton or fleece lining to make them softer to the touch on the inside of the collar.
Despite hemp dog collars being sturdy enough to hold strong pulling dogs, dog harnesses or specialized anti-pulling collars are typically recommended in such situation over even the best hemp dog collars. Good dog harnesses can also be made out of hemp, but as far as hemp collars are concerned, their main purpose is to be standard, comfortable, long-lasting, and eco-friendly collars.
Below, we'll discuss more about what you should know about hemp collars for dogs, and review and rank these five of the best hemp dog collars available:
No products found.
Why your pet might need a hemp dog collar?
Believe it or not, dog collars can harm your dog in a myriad of different ways. From strangling the dog, to causing skin irritations, from leading to respiratory distress to hurting the dog’s neck and throat. Even the best hemp dog collars are not immune to many of these problems – if not carefully adjusted as the dog grows and if not controlled and managed properly, hemp dog collars can harm your canine friend as well. However, they are typically of a high enough quality to bypass some of the problems that many other collars face.
For one, hemp canvas is such a strong material that a hemp dog collar is bound to outlast most similar products. As long as you make sure to adjust for the growth of your dog, a hemp dog collar can be with you both for many years.
Secondly, the best hemp dog collars will be hypo-allergenic, odor-resistant, and anti-microbial. This makes them a much healthier and more comfortable option than a lot of other dog collars which can cause rashes and other skin irritations because of the unpleasant materials they are made out of.
Additionally, hemp dog collars are usually very easy to manage, clean and maintain since they can be machine washed with usually no issue at all.
How to pick the best hemp dog collar for your pup?
Choosing the most suitable and best hemp dog collars for your pooch depends on a lot of factors and considerations. Here are the main ones to keep in mind:
- The collar should include a metal ring for the leash and another one for an ID badge or a name tag.
- Make sure that the collar is made with high-quality hemp canvas and other additional materials. The hemp canvas should be naturally-derived, with either no inclusions or only beneficial ones, and it should usually be accompanied by cotton or fleece lining to make the inside of the collar even softer. The D rings for the leash and the ID badge should be of high-quality stainless steel or brushed brass. The quick release buckle should be made out of plastic but it too should be hard and sturdy enough to last for years.
- The size of the collar should not only match your dog’s neck’s current size but leave a room for growth. Whether from age or from weight gain, dogs can increase their neck sizes quite quickly so the collar should allow for that and you should frequently check whether you need to make any adjustments.
- The color suits your dog and your preferences. This might be a superfluous criterion but if your dog is going to carry a certain collar for years, it should be appealing to the eyes too.
- The collar should be well-priced. Hemp dog collars are not that expensive so you don’t need to look for overly priced collars. A good hemp dog collar usually costs between $12 and $25.
What collar is best for your dog depends a lot of on the dog itself. However, in terms of straightforward quality, we've ranked and reviewed five of the best hemp dog collars currently available to purchase. Here they are below.
Top 5 Best Hemp Dog Collars
Matching Dog Collar Bow Tie & Owner Friendship Bracelet
The first item on our list of best hemp dog collars is not only effective but stylish as well. This hemp dog collar from Pettsie also includes a cute bowtie and a matching bracelet for the dog owner. The soft and unorthodox colors are also different from most other dog colors while still being suitable for most dog breeds. All this is bound to make you and your pooch stand out and attract the attention at the dog park. It also makes this a great gift to a dog owner friend. The collar also includes a vintage-looking D ring for you to easily and securely attach a leash or a name tag.
No products found.
As for the collar itself, it’s made out of 100% natural products – a durable combination of organic hemp and strong canvas. The human bracelet is made out of soft cotton. This matching set comes in 3 adjustable sizes – X-Small, Small, and Medium. The X-Small size can be adjusted between 7.5 and 10-inch with 3/8-inch width. The Small size can be changed from 10.5 to 14.5-inch with 5/8-inch width. And the Medium size is adjustable between 14 and 20-inch with 4/5-inch width.
- Pettsie’s canvas and hemp dog collar is made out of 100% organic ingredients that are very strong and durable.
- Comes in 3 sizes, all easily adjustable.
- Includes a stylish bowtie and a matching human bracelet.
- There is no suitable size for larger or giant dog breeds.
Planet Dog Cozy Hemp Adjustable Collar
The Planet Dog hemp collar is fully adjustable thanks to its simple but effective design. It is made out of natural, eco-friendly hemp that’s dyed with non-toxic dyes. The collar is also laced with nylon-reinforced plastic and metal hardware, as well as with fleece, and is one of the best hemp dog collars on Amazon right now. This gives it a lot of strength and durability despite the width of only one inch. It also makes it suitable for machine washing and hang drying.
No products found.
The collar is bright orange in color which is useful if you want to make sure that your dog will be easy to notice even among others of a similar breed. The rugged look of the color is natural and intended as well. The collar also has a D ring for a leash or a name tag / ID badge. It comes in only one size but its design makes it easily adjustable so it suits anything between 18” and 28” neck sizes.
- The natural hemp is laced with fleece, metal, and nylon-reinforced plastic for extra strength and comfort.
- The highly-adjustable design of the collar allows it to fit neck sizes ranging between 18 and 28 inches.
- The collar is machine-washable and can be hang dried.
- Comes in only one size and color option.
Pawsitive Pet Hemp Dog Collar
Pawsitive Pet’s hemp dog collars are made out of 100% natural hemp and don’t include any additives other than the soft cotton on the inside of the collar which is used for extra softness and comfort. The hemp canvas itself is more than strong and durable enough on its own to hold even the strongest pullers for a long time.
No products found.
It’s that longevity and durability which makes them one of the best hemp dog collars out there, and allows Pawsitive to sell their collars with lifetime warranties and the refund guarantee should anything in the collars end up being faulty. What’s more Pawsitive also donate one collar to a dog rescue for every collar sold.
The Pawsitive Pet collars come in three different sizes. Small – 5/8” width and 9” – 13” length. Medium – 3/4 width and 12” – 19” length. Large – 1” width and 18” – 28” length. They can also come in multiple different colors such as green, blue, red, pink, and purple.
- The collar is made out of high-quality all-natural hemp for extra durability and sturdiness.
- There is soft cotton on the inside of the hemp canvas to give your dog more comfort.
- Pawsitive Pet offers a lifetime warranty and donate a collar to a dog rescue for every collar sold.
- While the hemp is strong and durable, the cotton can wear off in time.
Salt Dog Natural Hemp Dog Collar
Salt Dog are another dog collar brand that helps charities with each purchase. In their case, they are donating 5% of every purchase’s value to a veterans’ charity. As for the collars themselves, they are made out of strong, natural hemp that’s sustainably sources and very durable. The hemp is laced with a fleece lining which is meant to give your dog extra softness and comfort. The collar also includes a stainless steel or brushed brass leash ring, as well as a hard plastic quick release buckle.
No products found.
The natural hemp is also suitable for machine washing (on cold) as well as hang drying. The non-toxic coloring of the hemp is made to last and not wear off in time. The coloring can also vary quite a lot and you’ll have plenty of choices to find the most fitting one for your dog. In terms of sizes, the collars can come in three variants – small, medium and large. Small – 1/2” width and 8” – 14” length. Medium – 3/4 width and 13” – 20” length. Large – 1” width and 19” – 28” length
- The collar is made out of high-quality and natural hemp with fleece lining for comfort.
- The stainless steel or brushed brass D rings and hard plastic quick release buckle are very durable.
- As a veteran owned company, Salt Dog donates 5% of their profits to veteran charities.
- Aside from the leash D ring there is no ID badge ring.
West Paw Strolls Dog Collar with Hemp
Made in Bozeman, MT, USA, the West Paw hemp dog collar is a great mixture of durability, practical design, and light weight. The natural hemp is very strong and effective even for powerful pullers, while the quick connect metal loop allows you to easily control the dog. There is also a good I.D. tag loop, and a durable quick-release buckle.
No products found.
The hemp is odor-resistant, as well as anti-microbial and hypo-allergenic. Despite being so strong and durable, it’s soft to the touch and isn’t going to harm even the strongest pulling dogs. This Strolls dog collar can be purchased in two different sizes and in multiple colors so that it matches your dog as well as possible. The collars can be adjusted in width a bit but not too much so make sure that it will be a good fit for your dog before buying.
- Lightweight but strong and durable design.
- Quick-release buckle.
- Hypo-allergenic, anti-microbial, and soft to the touch.
- Comes in two sizes but can’t be adjusted very much.
As you can see, hemp dog collars have a lot to offer, despite of their usually simplistic designs. Hemp is very durable and long-lasting, and it’s also pleasant to the touch and a natural product. Such collars are often suitable even for hairless dogs or for ones with skin irritations because they are typically made even softer on the inside with cotton or fleece linings. Five of our reviewed and ranked best hemp dog collars are the good and affordable starting options we'd recommend for any pet owner.
READ NEXT: Top 6 Best Calming Collars for Dogs