Table of Contents
- 10 Flowers Toxic For Dogs
- What Flowers Can Be Toxic for Dogs?
- Symptoms of Flower Intoxication in Dogs
- Treatment for Flower Intoxication in Dogs
- Prevention of Flower Intoxication in Dogs
- Frequently Asked Questions About Toxic Flowers For Dogs
- Flowers Toxic For Dogs: Summary
Spring is an excellent season for blooming and flourishing.
Unfortunately, our beloved fur buddies are not safe from the dangers of flower intoxication.
Don't worry! Below, we've compiled a list of flowers toxic for dogs.
Although flowers are exceptionally beautiful, they may be dangerous for some of us. Along with its exquisite beauty may accompany a pernicious effect on our furry buddies.
As adventurous and curious as our fur buddies are, as owners, we should be attentive and careful about whatever they interact with.
Today we will tackle the toxic flowers to dogs, their symptoms, treatment, and prevention.
10 Flowers Toxic For Dogs
The bulbs of the Amaryllis plant, especially the red varieties, contain toxic compounds called lycorine and other alkaloids.
Ingesting any part of the Amaryllis plant, including the leaves, stems, or flowers, can lead to different symptoms of toxicity in dogs.
The Azalea plant, also scientifically known as Rhododendron, contains toxins called grayanotoxins, primarily found in the leaves and flowers.
Ingestion of any part of the Azalea plant can result in toxicity in dogs.
Birds of Paradise
Birds of Paradise flowers are considered mildly harmful to dogs.
Even though they are not highly poisonous, ingesting the flowers or plant material can still lead to certain symptoms of toxicity in dogs.
Daffodils contain toxic alkaloids, mainly in the bulbs and other parts of the plant.
Ingestion can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, drooling, and, in severe cases, cause heart problems or respiratory distress.
Daisy is a common flower found in flower arrangements or gardens.
Consuming this flower can cause vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, and dermal allergic reactions.
Hyacinth flowers are toxic to dogs since they contain harmful compounds. Ingesting any part of the hyacinth plant, including the flowers, leaves, or bulbs, can result in various symptoms of toxicity in dogs, such as vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and tremors.
Hydrangea flowers, consumed in large quantities, can be toxic to dogs.
It can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal problems.
Iris flowers can be toxic to dogs, specifically the rhizomes (underground stems).
The poisonous compound found in irises is called irisin, similar to compounds found in other plants, such as lilies and tulips.
Calla Lily flowers, particularly the rhizomes and leaves, are toxic to dogs.
Calla Lilies can cause oral irritation, vomiting, excessive drooling, and difficulty swallowing.
The entire Morning Glory plant contains toxic compounds known as indole alkaloids, including seeds, leaves, and flowers.
Ingestion of Morning Glory plants can lead to various symptoms of toxicity in dogs, even hallucinations.
What Flowers Can Be Toxic for Dogs?
Here is a list of toxic flowers to Dogs:
- Amaryllis (Belladonna lily, Saint Joseph lily, Cape Belladonna, Naked Lady, Barbados lily)
- American Yew
- Autumn Crocus
- Azalea (Rhododendrons)
- Birds of Paradise
- Black Calla
- Bog Laurel
- Butterfly Iris
- Calla Lily
- Chandelier Plant
- Clivia Lily
- Cow Parsnip
- Deadly Night Shade (Climbing Nightshade, Poisonous Nightshade, Woody Nightshade, and Blue Nightshade)
- Desert Rose (Desert Azalea/Mock Azalea)
- Dog Daisy
- Eastern Star
- Glory Lily
- Iron Cross Begonia
- Japanese Yews
- John’s Wort
- Lemon Verbena
- Lily of the Valley
- Morning Glory
- Peace Lily
- Poison Hemlock
- Ranger’s Button
- Sweet Peas
- Sweet William
Surprisingly not all the flowers in this list are toxic to dogs. Some may come from the plant's leaves, not the flower/bud.
Some toxic parts of these plants may come from the leaves, stem, roots, scent, or even the flower/bud itself.
Regardless if your dog ingests any part of the flower, it’s best to seek medical help immediately.
Calling your veterinarian is the first step, but it’s always best to go there for a thorough check-up and treatment.
Symptoms of Flower Intoxication in Dogs
Although symptoms for flower intoxication vary, here are some signs that are often found when a dog has been intoxicated are the following:
- Excessive Drooling
- Abdominal Pain
- Difficulty in Swallowing
- Changes in Blood Pressure
- Cardiac Failure
The following symptoms are not all present when a dog is intoxicated. Some intoxicants may exhibit two to three of the listed above.
If any of the following symptoms are visible to your dog, it is advisable to seek a medical emergency at once.
If symptoms persist, it may have serious and chronic effects on their health.
Treatment for Flower Intoxication in Dogs
Treatment for flower intoxication may vary depending on the cause.
The treatment should always be advised and performed by a veterinarian.
It’s best to seek treatment after the dog has been poisoned immediately. Time is a crucial part of treatment.
If you have seen your dog ingest a toxic flower or suspect them to be intoxicated due to visible symptoms, immediately call the veterinarian.
It would also help the veterinarian if the owner knew the cause of the intoxication, maybe bringing a specimen of the suspected poison.
The veterinarian will ask questions regarding possible symptoms that are observed.
They will also provide directions on how to give first-aid to your dog and advise you to bring the dog to the clinic for further check-ups, some tests like CBC, and treatment.
The veterinarian may flush your dog’s stomach, give supplements or other medication that may help with symptoms such as emetics, give intravenous fluid or proceed with surgery, depending on the dog’s condition.
Remember, home remedies are not proper treatment unless your veterinarian advises. It’s best not to treat poisoning alone.
Always seek professional help! Some intoxicants respond differently to remedies intended for other conditions. This may make the dog’s situation worse.
The prognosis for flower intoxication in dogs is excellent, especially in cases treated early and where only a small amount of toxins were found.
The prognosis may be guarded for cases treated far later or those with high amounts of toxins found.
Prevention of Flower Intoxication in Dogs
The best prevention for flower intoxication for dogs is keeping it inaccessible to them.
Although it may be difficult to keep track of all the plants surrounding us, it’s best to familiarize yourself with the ones more common in your area.
Owners may start at home. Ensure flowers inside and outside the home are pet-friendly, especially with plants that can be easily reached on the table.
Some dogs may still be naughty and end up playing with random stuff out of curiosity, and flowers may be one of them.
If the home has a front or back yard, checking the plants and flowers planted is best.
If owners are unfamiliar, they may ask what plants are in their yard. It’s best to remove it immediately if it is suspected to be harmful to your pet.
Another way to prevent it is to be mindful of what your dog is sniffing and licking when they’re outside.
Dogs love to sniff almost everything, which may lead to dangerous toxic plants. Our owners' job is to ensure they do not get harmed.
Mainly prevention is keeping toxic flowers away as much as possible to avoid unfortunate incidents.
Frequently Asked Questions About Toxic Flowers For Dogs
Do dogs instinctively avoid dangerous plants?
Although it’s a prominent myth that dogs can detect poisonous plants, it is not always the case.
No, dogs are not always able to instinctively avoid dangerous plants.
Dogs are naturally curious and will try to sniff, lick or paw anything unfamiliar; some dangerous plants are one of those things.
Is lemongrass safe for dogs?
Lemongrass in large quantities is dangerous to dogs. Lemongrass poisoning is caused due to the cyanogenic glycosides and oils in the plant.
Fortunately, it is rare for dogs as they must ingest large quantities of the plant to trigger severe symptoms.
Can the smell of flowers be toxic to dogs?
Some scents may irritate the dog's nasal cavity or gastrointestinal system.
This can cause the dog to scratch their nose repeatedly, show uneasiness, and may vomit.
Flowers Toxic For Dogs: Summary
Flowers may look beautiful, but they can harm pups if eaten.
Since it's already spring, this blog can be your ultimate guide on finding out flowers toxic for dogs.
In the case of flower intoxication, the most important thing to remember is to seek medical help immediately.
Although most patients have an excellent prognosis, this is because these cases are treated early and may also be because of a small amount of toxin consumed.
Regardless, always seek treatment after a case is presented to avoid unfortunate casualties.
As owners, we are guardians of our pet buddies for what they cannot do.
With seasons changing, flowers and plants bloom almost everywhere, and we must keep an eye on whatever our pets interact with. It’s better to be careful than sorry!