dog eating tin foil
tin foil eating dog
Daisie, a 12-week-old dog, and her owner, Megan Brooks. Photo Credits to Worcester Observer

A Border Collie was rushed to Severn Veterinary Centre moments after eating a piece of tin foil.

This was after Megan Brooks of Worcester saw Daisie, her 12-week-old Border Collie, suddenly fell sick.

Daisie became severely ill, showing serious symptoms like high temperature, increased heart rate, and intermittent vomiting.

Her condition made Ms. Brooks rush her to a hospital, where she was given painkillers and a couple of medications to immediately treat the symptoms.

Vets also performed a handful of medical procedures on Daisie to rule out common dog illnesses like parvo, viral infection, or poison ingestion.

After a series of tests were performed, an ultrasound scan finally revealed that Daisie's suffering from an intestinal problem called intussusception.

Attending Veterinarian Cian O'Connell explained intussusception as a part of the intestine that slides into another part of the intestine.

This illness prevents food from completely moving within the digestive system.

The vet also relayed his findings with Daisie: “Had two intussusceptions and one was particularly severe because it involved around 30cm of her intestine.”

“It is very painful and can be fatal if not caught early enough,” Dr. Cian adds.

“Luckily, Daisie's owner brought her to us as soon as she noticed her pet was ill, and we were able to diagnose the problem quickly.”

Daisie was immediately scheduled for a set of surgery that only included freeing the trapped tissue and straightening out the intestine.

Upon Dr. Cian's surgical procedures, he also noted silver specks in its intestine, which was discovered to be tin foil.

dog eats tin foil
Daisie along with Dr. Cian and the staff of Severn Veterinary Centre. Photo credits to Severn Veterinary Centre

“I removed some pieces of tin foil from Daisie’s gut, and this likely is what triggered her illness as a foreign body is one of the most common causes of an intussusception,” Cian said.

Prior to the illness, Daisie put her head in the unattended bin and chewed a small piece of tin foil before swallowing.

“We'd had roast pork for Sunday lunch and I left the bin out, which is something I never usually do,” Megan narrated.

“I took it away as soon as I saw her licking it but didn’t realize she’d swallowed some.”

Dr. Cian called upon dog owners to keep leftover foods away from their dog's reach.

“It’s really important to prevent dogs stealing food from bins or off kitchen surfaces or the dinner table because as well as causing irritations in the gut, many human foods are poisonous to them or can cause them to choke or form a blockage,” Dr. Cian stated.

Unfortunately, Daisie's intestines were delicate, which prompted another set of surgery at Worcester Veterinary Hospital.

Her second surgery proved to be successful and is now recovering with Megan who pledged to not let her dog reach any leftovers.

Thankfully, Daisie is now said to be recovering well and is now safely back home with owner Megan, who will now be taking extra care to keep any leftovers out of paw's reach.